Laurie
Laurie
  • San Miguel, CA
Asked on Jun 5, 2013

What is this?

NormaStephanieSheila Suarez
+16

This flower is jsut blooming, looks like a double daffadail, but to late in the season. Plant is years old and has never bloomed until now??
what is this, flowers, gardening
  • KMS Woodworks

There is also a "triple Daffodil"

• Reva Chevalier

DIETES MORAEA BICOLOR-African Iris. Also known as the Spanish Iris

• Gloria Schlender

African Iris

• Stefanie Reed

WE HAVE ALWAYS CALLED THEM ASSYRIAN GLADS........THEY DO COME IN OTHER COLOURS. NEED TO BE ROOT BOUND TO BLOOM.

They're known as African iris in Florida as well. Definitely a type of Dietes.

• Darla Brown

After the flower fades, snap off the head (seed pod). They will re-bloom all summer! I have a white one and a yellow one out here in California.

• Dana Shuster

In Texas they are sometimes called bicolor iris. Mine love full sun and don't bloom well without it.

• Nancy Bluto

Often used in commercial landscaping in Southern California...practically care-free.

• Sheila Suarez

I love these Africa Irises but am glad to know what Darla said about snipping the dead heads off so they will bloom all summer!!!! I didn't know that! Can you dry and plant the seed pods for more plants???

• Z

I saw some of these while in California at a Best Buy. I wondered what they were. They're so tiny and cute.

• Merri Jo

it's Dietes iridioides, common name:is Peacock flower.

Sheila, the clumps of these expand at a pretty good rate. The easiest way to get more is simply to divide the clumps.

• Melissa K

Amazingly I thought this was what is growing in my yard. I know someone gave them to me but can't for the life of me remember what they are. However, someone said these are small. Must post a picture, but after the bloom faded, I figured mine looked ordinary. Mine are about 4 feet tall, had dainty yellow blooms, and later has the tall seed pod. During their first and second years, I noticed they were so clumped, that I kept separating them and never did bloom. This year, I did not feel like it, so the large clumps actually bloomed! Still unknown as to what mine are. Darn it, thought I had the answers! I thought the lady told me these were tiger lilies, but checked a website and these are not them.. Douglas...need a picture? They are very tall fan-shaped. I will also cut off these seed pods, but want to also know if I can plant them.

• Sheila Suarez

Thanks Douglas! I will sure divide them, these are great plants !! Beautiful flowers! My plants are in filtered sun but they have spread into a nice clump so far......maybe a couple of feet around but now that I think about it I've only had about 6 flowers on it so far, so maybe full sun WOULD be better!!!! Thanks Dana !

• Stephanie

IS IT AN AFRICAN IRIS

• Sheila Suarez

yes Stephanie! African Iris! Beautiful huh!!??

• Stephanie

yes she is....only have one in white and purple......want to get the yellow one.

• Norma

Hi Laurie, this plant will give you some Seed pods that are between 1/2 to 1" in length. They need to be brown which will then be ripened. Ma Ljubljana e s u re seeds are dry if you want to share with others. I have the light blue in color. Yes they are very beautiful. They will grow from seeds. Keep an eye out and enjoy.

• Norma

Okay, that jabbering was make sure they are dry, etc. ;)