Jeanette S
Jeanette S
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Atlanta, GA

Sago Palm is Growing!

The Sago on the left was planted the same time the one on the right was planted (?) but don't know why it is doing so much better. These are the ones that were rooted from limbs given to my son when a friend on the Coast cut his back. I hope it grows in Atlanta! Hello to Douglas Hunt in New Smyrna Beach, FL who I promised I would post photos! (Any hints on how to help it through the Atlanta winter?)
This palm is now about 2' tall!  The one next to it is just a nub but was planted at the same time! (?)
This palm is now about 2' tall! The one next to it is just a nub but was planted at the same time! (?)
Let's hope this baby takes off too.  Another one planted at the same time is about this size too.
Let's hope this baby takes off too. Another one planted at the same time is about this size too.

The literature generally says that sagos are not hardy north of zone 9, which would mean no temperatures below 25-30, Jeanette. But plants don't always read the literature. I think if they were to stay outside you would have to be prepared to cover them with a cardboard box when temperatures get below that. And, actually, a location under trees would probably be better than western sun, where there are bound to be broader temperature swings and the plant is more exposed.

• Jeanette S

We will definitely try to keep it alive. If it does not get too large, we will probably just move it to a large pot. Otherwise, we will use the box for temps below 30...thanks a bunch.