Digging up and Separating Iris

This is how I divide my Iris. This needs to be done every 2 or 3 years to keep them healthy and blooming. The added bonus is you can share or replant in other areas the extras. To see the full post feel free to visit my blog/website. Next post I will show how I plant them.
Lovely Iris.
Lovely Iris.
Deadhead by cutting off the dried up flower and down the stem in increments to the joint of the leaves.
Place digging tool a good 4 to 6 inches back from clump of iris.
Dig all the way around and lift as you go.
Cut out old or diseased bits at joint.
Cut out old or diseased bits at joint.
Trim and store.  For more info please visit my blog/website.
Trim and store. For more info please visit my blog/website.
Flower Patch Farmhouse

• Mom6417363

Iris, why do you say to store the iris after you dig it up. While I am hot and sticky from digging I would just like to plant them somewhere else?

• Flower Patch Farmhouse

Feel free to do so, many times when digging them up I am just separating out the extras. Some claim that letting them dry out a few days helps to curb fungus etc. but if it is healthy looking just plant away.

• Teresa Ballance

What time of year do we do this?

• Flower Patch Farmhouse

Anytime after they bloom is fine but for best results you should divide Iris 6 to 8 weeks after bloom. So the when is determined by your location. I hope this helps. Pamela G.

• Flower Patch Farmhouse

@Pamela McBride Hi Pamela, I have two working hands and I still make the worst typos so no worries on that front. Here is a link to my "how to plant Iris" if you wish to view it. It may answer most of your questions. http://www.flowerpatchfarmhouse.com/how-i-plant-iris/ If you need to ask more once you read it then feel free, I will do my best. Yes, soft spots on the iris rhizomes are not good, cut them out or cut off the rhizome it is on and only use the solid ones.

• Pamela McBride

Thank you Pam