Susan @SalvagedBySusan
Susan @SalvagedBySusan
  • Crawfordsville, IN

Repurposed Entertainment Center to Bench

When I moved into my current home, I “inherited” an old entertainment center that was left behind in my shed. So when someone very dear to me said they wanted a bench for their front porch, my mind immediately went to the entertainment center. I thought it would be perfect for this project.
repurposed entertainment center to bench, diy, entertainment rec rooms, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
Using a level to help ensure an even cut, I cut it down to size with a circular saw. Then I started removing all the excess pieces that needed to be removed.
I braced it up in the back and the seat, then added boards that had been cut to size for the seat.
Wainscoting added a little extra visual flair for the back, and trim helped neaten it all up.
After a couple coats of paint, some dry brushed glaze and new hardware, it was ready for its new home.
For more photos and details, please see my blog at the link below

Susan @SalvagedBySusan

• Katherine Howard Jones

I have my Mother's old Armoire style Entertainment center. I like your idea, but for my uses thought of cutting the hutch off the drawers below and fitting it with a new top, to use it as a more up to date TV stand (the newer flat screen TVs didn't fit inside it.). Do you have any tips for me to help me do a great job like you did?

• Rebecca Maurer-Milota

I'm planning on cutting mine down also. My question is what would I use to finish the cut edges of the particle board that won't leave a raised edge.

• Susan Bechamp

Since this item was originally meant for indoor use, did you treat it with a preservative to protect it from the elements it will be subject to on a porch? Is paint and clear finish sufficient to prevent warping and moisture retention in this wood?

• Anna M.S.

I have an elderly, interesting detailed, chest. I've thought of using boiled linseed oil on the inside, unfinished wood to protect it from further drying-out.

• LyonStill

I've seen a lot of these on Hometalk and Pintrest and I've always thought, however beautiful, it seems to deep to sit comfortably. I'd like to know your thoughts on it.