Jayme Renee
Jayme Renee
  • Somerset, WI
Asked on Jun 5, 2013

Dirty Nails!!

JaniceMar3393727Evelyn Adams
+15

Any tips for getting your nails clean of dirt and mulch color? I just cant seem to get all the dirt out ...
Or should I just embrace this and wear my dirty nails like a badge of honor? :)
  • wear gloves : ) Beyond that, they sell nail brushes which work great - soap, water & scrub

Hop in the shower and wash your hair, giving your scalp a good scrub. At least that works for me.

• Jayme Renee

Thanks! I know the question is a bit silly but I just cant seem to get them clean!! Even with a brush and showering. I didn't know if there was a secret soak ingredient out there.

• Ivylore

I have the same problem- my nails are always dirty! I saw this posted on pinterest- rubbing your fingernails across a bar of soap before you garden. I haven't tried it yet tho, so can't say if it works :)

dirty nails, cleaning tips, gardening, to prevent dirt from getting under your nails scrape your fingernails across a bar of soap before gardening
  • Linnya

I have had the same problem and yes I have used a nail brush, boraxo powder hand soap,lava, washed my long hair etc etc. Best answer I came up with was to do a sink of dishes the old fashion way, in the sink with soap and hot water and give the dish washer the night off.

• Ivylore

That will do it, Linnya :) My problem is when I'm done gardening, I'm too tired to do a sink full of dishes :)

• L. Duclos

I use exam gloves when I garden. They are thin enough that you can weed with them. You don't get dirt under your nails and your cuticles will thank you. I also use them for removing the seeds etc., from jalapenos and other hot peppers.

• Thi

try scrubbing w/ baking soda and soap

• Irma had it right. Working on autos and in the soil makes is difficult to keep nails clean. Using ivory soap rubbing fingers across helps prevent the build up under the nails. I have been doing this for years. You can also purchase a product called liquid glove. This is normally sold at auto supply shops. It is a cream that you rub into your hands and under the nails and helps get the hands clean. I use vaseline and rub it into my dry hands and it helps a lot. Any good quality hand lotion applied heavily will help fill the pores in the skin so the soil does not embed itself.

• Ivylore

Makes sense! Will just have to remember to keep a jar of vaseline and a bar of soap with my gardening tools, that'll make it easier for me to remember to use it :)

• Elizabeth

Soak your hands in BLUE Dawn dish soap with peroxide -- about 1/2 and 1/2 of each.

• DORLIS

@Elizabeth I agree, but I just pour a bit of peroxide on while washing my hands. Blackberry stain is about the only thing I have not been able to remove

• Gladys

I wear gardening gloves because I can't stand to get dirt under my nails and I don't even have long nails. I don't do much of this anymore though because of a bad back, so I have to count on hubby or friends to plant for me, except for window boxes etc.

• Lisa

Using a little "Soft Scrub" on a nail brush and scrubbing the under side of my nails helps me keep my long fingernails looking clean and free from bacteria. I also get a professional manicure about every couple of months.

• Sally Roesner Fuhr

lemon juice. Whitens as it bleaches.

• Evelyn Adams

Peroxide in a small plastic bathroom cup to dip finger tips for a few seconds to soak and then brush with soft nail brush, dipped in peroxide - works well for me - to remove stain from finger nails.

• Mar3393727

Before you do the task, scrape your finger nails over a bar of soap. Keeps the crap from getting under the nails. I wear surgical gloves, much easier !

• Janice

I just googled this subject after mulching today. Thank you all for posting your answers for those of us who can't keep up with gloves