How to paint outdated linoleum floor

Last week I showed my oak cabinets that I painted white. Several people remarked about not painting wood. I hope no one has objections to me painting linoleum. :)
See the full tutorial @ My Repurposed Life http://bit.ly/IeyAKO
Kitchen Floor BEFORE-I've had this floor for almost 20 years.  It was not in my budget to replace it. I had seen people paint their wood floors, so I decided to try to paint my vinyl/linoleum floor.
Kitchen Floor BEFORE-I've had this floor for almost 20 years. It was not in my budget to replace it. I had seen people paint their wood floors, so I decided to try to paint my vinyl/linoleum floor.
Before painting with primer--I mopped the floor with a little dish soap, Mr. Clean and warm water.  I rinsed the floor until the water was clean and soap free. This took about 6 moppings. 
After the floor dried, I wiped it down with TSP (Trisodium phosphate). The TSP helps to clean, degrease, and dull the finish of the floor. I used a latex "oops" gray primer.
Before painting with primer--I mopped the floor with a little dish soap, Mr. Clean and warm water. I rinsed the floor until the water was clean and soap free. This took about 6 moppings. After the floor dried, I wiped it down with TSP (Trisodium phosphate). The TSP helps to clean, degrease, and dull the finish of the floor. I used a latex "oops" gray primer.
I have 2 cats and a dog.  I used my leaf blower to make sure there were no stray hairs flying around.
I have 2 cats and a dog. I used my leaf blower to make sure there were no stray hairs flying around.
To get a good feel for the pattern I used newspapers.
I got busy with some painter's tape and started painting my squares.
I used Mythic paint.  It went on really well, and 18 months later, is holding up fantastic.  I don't like shiny floors-I chose the original floor for THAT reason. It was dull.  I chose a satin paint, and decided not to seal the paint.
I used Mythic paint. It went on really well, and 18 months later, is holding up fantastic. I don't like shiny floors-I chose the original floor for THAT reason. It was dull. I chose a satin paint, and decided not to seal the paint.
I love how it turned out, but honestly, now that I have black countertops (that I painted) I'm thinking about changing out the blue squares....  You can see the full tutorial over at My Repurposed Life  http://bit.ly/IeyAKO
I love how it turned out, but honestly, now that I have black countertops (that I painted) I'm thinking about changing out the blue squares.... You can see the full tutorial over at My Repurposed Life http://bit.ly/IeyAKO
UPDATED to add.  I have changed out the blue squares for dark gray squares. See more details on the blog.  http://bit.ly/Y8wq6S
UPDATED to add. I have changed out the blue squares for dark gray squares. See more details on the blog. http://bit.ly/Y8wq6S
Gail--My Repurposed Life

• Janet chambers

After the first coat of paint, can you sponge paint it with different colors?

• Treasuredchaos.com

I also painted my linoleum. I ended up putting a coat of polyurethane over mine, but have noticed that you have to literally dry it to avoid water spots (it doesn't hurt anything, it's like your stainless sink fixtures where you can just see it). I'm curious how long the painted finish will last, or if any has been scratched, etc. I really want to know for the next time, cause now that paint is an option I'm sure to change my mind...often.

• Gail--My Repurposed Life

@Treasuredchaos.com It's been five years, and I do have a large scratch that just happened a couple of months ago when my electricity went out and I had to move the fridge by myself. Other than that, it's in really good shape except for some paint splatters on it from other projects. Paint on paint is difficult to remove. ;) I think I'll be repainting it in the next few months, but still won't seal it with poly.

• Treasuredchaos.com

@Gail--My Repurposed Life hhmmm. I have three kids and I can't help but think mine would be scratched a lot more! Plus I move the fridge and stove about every three or four months to clean (Yes, we tend to make crazy messes). Maybe when my kids are grown...but man that's so much easier...and easier to change your mind, too! Thanks for taking the time to respond...I really think this is a conversation I need to have out loud with myself!

• Jud7502183

Did you use one or two coats of paint?

• Leighann

What kind of paint do i use indoor or outdoor and do i need to get water based or oil..And will i need to put a clear coat on it after i am done with all the paint

• Christie

thank you so much for sharing. this is defiantly something I will try in the future. It is beautiful.

• Gail--My Repurposed Life

@Christie yay! happy you liked it. I'm tiring of the floor.... I think it might be time for a change. :) It's just paint!

• Janet chambers

Thanks! I just bought an old house with a very small kitchen. It has the same flooring in the kitchen, bath, hall and laundry and I can't afford to replace it all. I didn't know you could paint it. Great! Thank You!