Kim S
Kim S
  • Winston Salem, NC
Asked on Apr 23, 2012

Does anyone know what these huge plants are? I hope I haven't been saving weeds. They are 4 feet tall.

Linda LeePatty ACheesecake chick
+43

q does anyone know what these huge plants are i hope i haven t been saving weeds, gardening
  • Walter Reeves

the leaves remind me of white milkweed but it may not be that http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54147/

• Sandra R

Hi Kim, from your pictures, looks like milkweed,

• Jeanine C

poppie?

• Summer J

weeds are only in the eye of the beholder if you like them, doesn't matter if they are weeds or not

• Betty G

milkweed...complete eco system there....check it out...

• Audree P

milkweed... i love the flowers they have! they smell amazing and monarch butterflies love them! can be invasive tho.

• Lorinda H

Hops, I am guessing

• Tanya T

The tall Green looks like lemon puffs I grow them in my beds

• Sandy R

IF it is milkweed and you ahve environmental allergies...LOOK OUT!!!! big trouble for sneezers and wheezers :(

• Cathy Montague J

the flowerslookliketheflowerson a n englishlaurelplant.

• Lori S

Yup looks like Milkweed to me too

• Beth

Your Dept. of Agriculture will tell you exactly what it is!

• Margaret S

To find out if its milk weed...just break one of the leaves off an if a milky white substance comes out then it probably milk weed...make sure you wash your hands tho...some species are toxic....but I don't think this is milk weed...the leaves are to close together.. If this is milk weed its very beneficial to your garden....for one it attracts bees an butterflies. Great for pollination.

• Susan M

it`s milk weed but i like the flowers so i keep them very pretty weed i also like the leaves looks great with other leafy plants.

• Angie S

Yeah, milkweed, dont let them seed in your garden! visitors include butterflies, bees, monarch caterpillar!

• John J

If it is milkweed be careful of the sap .... get it on hands and then in sun will react and give itchy rash!

• Willow Gates Landscaping

Pull one up. If it has long runner roots, it is likely milkweed- especially if it has a white sap. The leaves don't quite look right though, it resembles a weed that has yellow flowers. This particular weed tends to have a long taproot, and it WILL spread by seed. I think I've heard it called evening primrose, but I'm not sure if that is correct.

• Karin

Its milkweed. If you want to get rid of them, butterflies love them but they will take over your flower garden.

• Jennifer K

My first thought was common evening primrose.... It doesn't look like the milkweed around here.

• Karen P

It could be milkweed like everyone is saying but the leaves look a bit different. If you don't like it, pull it out. Be careful cause it is an allergy attack waiting to happen.

• Jamie M

I agree with Jennifer. It looks like Missouri Primrose. If it is I feel sorry for the owner of this flower bed.

• D P

it looks like primrose to me too, I had some until I ripped them out. First year they were about 18 inch, second year they got to 4-5 feet, yellow blossom spikes, curvy stems.

• The Blooming Gardener

I thought it looked like Comfrey. Googled it and ...yep... all their photos look like this photo. Some gardeners grow it use as the "green" portion for making compost. (20% green to 80% brown-dry leaves, etc-) It grows fast, large and is a good way to grow stuff for making compost.

• Evelyn R

I really don't think it's milkweed and the leaves do look like primrose.

• Kimberely S

milkweed

• Kim S

I am uploading a crude (very crude) drawing of the plant because the pictures don't really show the body of the plant. I have looked at pictures of all the plants you suggest and don't think it's any of them but I am not sure. I appreciate you helping me!!! Thanks.

• Kim S

Thank you for the suggestions but this doesn't answer my question because I'm not sure if the id is correct.

• Walter Reeves

wait a couple weeks and update us with more pix. We may be able to ID it then.

• Faye H

Im thinking evening primrose from the drawing and the pics,, if it is you'll love it..

• Nancy L

Milkweed; PLEASE leave them! Monarch butterflies rely on them for food, and too many people eradicate the plant, and the butterflies' numbers a dwindling. It is NOT a pest. The 'milk' has been used for many years for skin ailments.

Most milkweeds are more upright than the broad shape you have drawn. It will be much easier to make an identification if it blooms.

• Crystal

Even if it is a weed, it is beautiful....unless it destroys the garden...keep it! Your yard is lush and beautiful....

• Erica Glasener

Look forward to seeing the flowers!

• Sherrie S

You will soon find out if you have milkweed as you will see both the nasty orange/black bugs or a nice caterpillar that makes the pretty Butterfly. Without milkweek the Monarch Butterfly will be gone forever.

q does anyone know what these huge plants are i hope i haven t been saving weeds, gardening, These caterpillars make Monarch Butterfliesq does anyone know what these huge plants are i hope i haven t been saving weeds, gardening, these orange black caterpillars eat the Monarch food
  • Judi L

I think it is Indian Tobacco plant...google and look at photos...I have one and they grow very tall and smell great.

• Laura M

if u have one of those fancy phones, it will tell u what "it" is,.just by taking a pic and asking. for real, my husband does it all the time. He has the droid phone but the iphone does it too I believe.

• Kim S

Laura can you ask him what the app is called?

• The Blooming Gardener

Has this bloomed yet? Have you found out what it matches to some one living near you?

• Kim S

I am sorry to report that the huge plants were probably weeds. They never bloomed and I took them out to put in flowers. I did plant a lot of milkweed for the monarch butterflies! Thanks everyone for your help!

• Kelly Blohm

They are weeds...they will get yellow flowers but weeds. I did the same as u n saced them but i d find out weeds. N you'll get many more. Definately weeds..but butterflies like them..lol. Sorry but weeds.🌸

• Karin

weeds. Weeds always growing bigger and look wonderful.

• Barb

The app is "My Garden Answers". You send it a pic and it will tell you what it is.

• Cheesecake chick

goldenrod

• Patty A

I am saving these too. Very pretty. Thought it was milkweed until I clicked on your additional pics. Not milkweed, not evening primrose, not golden rod, as I have all three. Some kind of weed, but that never stopped me from growing it. Native is best. If you get a positive ID let me know!

• Linda Lee

they do look like milk weeds. They get the pods on them in the fall that you can open and have the silky seeds that can blow around.