Becky
Becky
  • Jasper, GA
Asked on Jun 6, 2013

Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder

Fran QuarlesLynn anderbergLynell Miller
+18

How do you keep squirrels out of the bird feeder? We purchased an attachment for the post to prevent them from going up the pole and they kept knocking it down. Then we purchased a squirrel proof feeder and within one week every squirrel in the neighborhood was having a party at our feeder. They figured out how to put their paws behind the metal leaves that covered the ports. My husband used pliers to curve the leaves so they couldn't get behind them and then the squirrels bent them back out and they nearly destroyed the springs! Needless to say that "squirrel proof" feeder went back to the store!!!!
  • Lynn anderberg

I have yet to find a feeder that is squirrel proof...I don't think they exist!

The feeder is one thing. This is the one I have and it actually works. I have gotten a great deal of pleasure watching it thwart birds, and am thinking about buying another one: http://bromebirdcare.com/products/plus/ But the location is equally important. Mine is hanging from a branch at the end of 4-foot long hook and is far enough from the shrubs underneath that they can't jump up on it either. http://www.backyardstyle.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-34713

• Kent's Wood Stock

I agree with Douglas...the Brome Squirrel Buster is the only bird feeder I've found that frustrates squirrels enough that they finally quit trying. I've had one for 5 years and just bought another smaller one.

• Lou

Here is the squirrel proof bird feeder that we use. 100% effective! http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=HF-7511

• KMS Woodworks

When we had our feeders up we enjoyed both winged and legged creatures...you just need to buy a little more seed.

• Becky

The problem is the legged creatures are keeping the winged ones from eating!

• We have a feeder much like the brome one. It is a sliding device that is adjustable depending upon the type of bird we want to attract. The adjustment allows for the smaller birds to get a meal without the device closing, but if larger birds such as crows or four legged gray critters make their way onto the feeder it simply closes off so there is nothing for them to eat. We hang it off a long rope between two trees with pulley system that can be used to lower the feeder to refill So far so good.

• Lou

Becky, the one I suggested ended our problems with squirrels. We bought ours at Ace Hardware and have it mounted on a pole. You can buy double sided ones like ours on the web sie I provided in my first response. Like you, before getting a new feeder all we were doing was feeding the squirrels. Best of luck to you!

• Lynn anderberg

Just ordered the Brome Squirrel Buster Plus...will let you know how it works out. Decided to do it this morning after my attempts to scare the squirrels off the feeder!

• Christine P

My Honey bought a sheet of tin. Cut it into a circle with a hole in the middle, Like a doughnut. Made tabs out of a leftover piece and screwed them into the the middle circle. He then cut a slit in it to fit around the existing birdfeeder pole. Attached the baffle (which is the name of this item) to the pole with radiator clamps (the tabs are under the radiator clamps). Squirrels cannot get past the baffle and can't "knock it off" as it is firmly attached to the pole. Most important thing is to keep the pole at least 7 feet away from anything that the squirrels can "launch" themselves off of, i.e. trees, bushes, buildings. We have had many many squirrels eating the spilled seed off of the ground UNDER the pole, but every attempt at getting up the pole has been thwarted by that baffle.

• Becky

Thank y'all for your suggestions! The feeder was on a shepherd hook in an open area. I was totally amazed that these squirrels could climb a metal pole! I had purchased one of the baffles to attach to the pole but it was plastic and the squirrels were able to knock it down. My Honey is a metal fabricator/welder and can fabricate and weld a baffle onto the shepherd hook that they won't be able to knock down! I'll let you know if it's a success!

• Ella

How do I keep squirrels from digging in the mulch and the flower pots????

• Lou

Your squirrel is looking for places to hide nuts. As for how to prevent them from digging, I haven't a clue. Do the Goggle. Good luck.

• Becky

I ordered the Brome Squirrel Buster Plus and it works!!!!! My Better Half and I have laughed so hard watching the squirrels trying their best to get to the seeds!!!! Thank you Douglas for the info on this feeder! Lynn...how is your feeder working for you?

Glad it's working for you, Becky. There's nothing like a frustrated squirrel to make your day.

• Lynn anderberg

Sorry for delay in posting this....wanted to wait to make sure my Squirrel Buster actually worked over a period of time and like Becky, it works! I also wrapped some dry corn around the pole and notice the squirrels take to that now that they have no access to the good stuff. Can report that this is well worth the investment!

• Becky

Lynn...I'm glad your feeder is working out too! It's hilarious watching the squirrels trying to get seed out of this feeder!

• Lynell Miller

You don't.

• Lynn anderberg

Has been six months since I put up the Squirrel buster...VICTORY!

• Fran Quarles

My favorite thing to do with the metal pole is to occasionally grease it with Vaseline. The squirrels just slide off which makes for an entertaining afternoon of bird watching!