Mary C
Mary C
  • Carmi, IL
Asked on Apr 23, 2012

how can i keep ANTS away from my HUMMING BIRD FEEDERS

Jeff WashingtonBobby Jean SKMS Woodworks
+11

• KMS Woodworks

wondering how ants are getting there? My hummingbird feeders hang from our soffit on a short bit of rope. These are over 5 feet above the deck. Unless your ants are flying how are they getting there?

• Clay B

There is a sticky tape (used on tree's for catarpillars), wrap around pole to keep them from getting up it, Will need to change it periodically, as when it gets coated stuck ants, new ants will crawl over the dead ones. You could also sprinkle some insect granuals around the base of the pole, I would put it in a 6ft diameter circle. If it's hanging from a tree ect,, use the tape above the feeder. I've seen people use vaseline, but it will melt and run when it gets hot, and not good to spread on a tree, bad for tree.

• Mary C

Thank you for the suggestions but this doesn't answer my question because i have tried every thing and they still find someway to get in side of the feeders ..i've tried tape ..ant poison at the base of the pole etc... but nothing has helped

• Walter Reeves

Google "ant moat". They work by making a water-filled moat around your feeder hanger. Mine works fine.

• Mary C

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. cause i've done all this and nothing helps

• KMS Woodworks

You could wrap the pole with "fly paper" ...it will be a bit messy and will need to be changed now and then.

• Mary C

i will try the fly paper and see what happens...thanks

• Walter Reeves

What were the results when you used the ant moat?

• Bobby Jean S

Vaseline. Rub Vaseline Petroleum Jelly along the hanger. Ants will not cross it.

• Mary C

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. cause i have used the jell and vice save but nothing they went right over them and i just hung my first feeder today and will try the molt tomorrow if the don't work i was thinking about some ant killer around the bottom of the pole on the ground

• Jacob Jake Knapp

i sprayed insect control on the hanger, and the area around ground below the feeder. Works great. Have to re-spray every month or so.
  • KMS Woodworks

get some "boron" based ant stuff...borax laundry soap can be used to.

• Bobby Jean S

Mary, you've tried petroleum jelly without success? It's the only thing I've found that deterred our stubborn dang Missouri ants. My hummingbird feeders have a twisted copper wire attached to a hook installed in the soffit. I tried petroleum jelly just atop the feeder but that was not enough ... finally I smeared some on the hook and around the copper wire. No more ants.

• Jeff Washington

Rub the pole with petroleum Jelly or spray on some type of lubricant.