Lita
Lita
  • New Port Richey, FL
Asked on Jun 6, 2013

Need ideas for this.

SamanthaSandy HarmonFrancine C
+52

I have this item in my storage and i thought i can use it for something...Can anyone give me an idea what to do with it or hoe to make it look better ? Ideas will be appreciated....
need ideas for this, home decor, repurposing upcycling
30 of 55 answers
  • D Burton

Throw it away! I had one in the seventies and that is what I did with mine

• Netsey P

Put some legs on and make a small outdoor table!!!

• Liz Barnes

Wow, it's so cool-please post it to me, I love it just the way it is. I am in NZ but I will pay you the shipping costs no problem! crazyredhen@gmail.com

• John J

Hmm what about making it part of the centre piece for a coffee table with a glass top. at least you'll get your guests talking happy DIY ;D

• Sherrie

Ballard designs is one of my favorite places. They have something similar to your clock! http://www.ballarddesigns.com/suzanne-kasler-sunburst-mirror-234/wall-decor/suzanne-kasler/15125?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=5 What's so funny is I see so many people that re duplicate this.

• Kelley Storey

The ceiling medallion is a great idea and maybe you could make a nice chandelier out of it too! But seriously I love that clock too! I think just painting it to suit your decorating theme would be awesome!

• DeDe @ Designed Decor

I love the mirror idea! Paint the metal parts with a silver color and I would paint the inside spikes to be one color and then select a coordinating color to paint the outside spikes. You can really make a fun statement with this piece. I love it!

• Kay Love-Wood

If you were a garden addict, I would remove the face. Paint a sun face and turn it into a happy sunny face for outside ..

• Sue Weiker

If you really want to use it and not sell it, I like the sunny face idea for the garden, or to mount on the garage, or shed idea, or ceiling medallion idea as well. For outdoors, I'd like either very bright colors or metals though personally. You could do some bronze and silver metals paint, or something like that. Very pretty

• Gail Harris Huey

DO NOT CHANGE.....MONEY THERE....

• Lita

Hello Everyone, I appreciate all your ideas and suggestions, they are all wonderful ! In the meantime I decided to leave it the way it is as suggested and i put it on my wall. I was surprised how good it looks and the clock is working fine too. THANK YOU ALL !!!!

• Lynn

Great decision Lita!

• Victoria

Yay! thank you on behalf of all of us who are sentimental for that time period and these kinds of pieces, Enjoy!!

• DTA

Phew! Another murder evaded! Enjoy!

• Z

I'm so proud of you Lita! You avoided following the trend of "just paint it"! Bravo. @Douglas Hunt will be relieved as am I. (I knew you'd want to see this Douglas, as it's such a charming piece from the mid century.)

• Kelly Stacey

I'm so glad to hear that you've decided to keep it as is, Lita. Your clock truly is a classic. Enjoy!

• Andrea

OMG! WE had a clock similar to that when I was growing up - early 60s and I'm not sure how long before that!! We usually store interesting items or they go to another member of the family, however, NO ONE remembers where this clock is! Ours was all "gold" and had more "rays". I have been searching for one off and on for 3 years! Get the clock fixed! Just saw your post! Thank you! Not everything needs to be changed! If you ever find another one OR decide to get rid of this one.... PLEASE, PLEASE let me know!!!

• Lily White

holy Moses! do nothing to it! it is collectible as is! I would kill for that clock!

• Lory

I agree with Lily don't do anything to it! It's beautiful as is!

I am with Becky on this one. Love that piece, Lita, and think you should leave it exactly like it is.

• Lora (Howard) Cotton

If the clock is no longer working, then take the clock mechanism out and spray paint the whole thing with silver or gold spray paint and dust liberally with glitter and use as a Christmas star. (Given you celebrate Christmas of course.)

• Anna Ibarra

This is a beauty, find out more of it, it's even of any value, but if you don't like it as is, cause it doesn't go with ur decor, then paint it a high gloss color or metallic and change the clock to either a mirror or find an ornate piece to attach to the middle. It's gorgeous, I wouldn't sell or give it away. It's a keeper is what I'd do with it.

• Sharon C

Turn it into a sunface and hang outside.

• Patti Nicholas

This is a classic! take the clock to a reputable clock repair and do nothing but have it cleaned and hang!

• Donna H

Remove the clock and replace it with a mirror and then put a 2nd mirror behind the outer sun rays.

• Txvoodoo

Lita, so glad you kept it! It's an iconic style of the era, and makes a great wall piece. :D

• Mary

Well, I think it is great just the way it is but if you wanted to you could always rely on the good ol' fall back of painting it any color to fit a décor... or use Chrome paint and that would really update it. You could put craft beads on tips of stars or numbers on them. Maybe 12,3,6,9.. Take the clockworks out and insert a fav picture... you can hang this anywhere! Kitchen, Bathroom, Porch, Garden Post!! It is a cool item... sun bursts are so popular...this one was probably the inspiration!!

• Francine C

I too love it as is, however , if you want try painting it and making it into a sundial. The "sunbursts" would really make it stand out!

• Sandy Harmon

Sell it on eBay! It's retro mid century modern atomic era. Do a search - some are selling for over $100. The wood looks like walnut.

• Samantha

This is awesome just the way it is! I would love one of these.