Christina
Christina
  • Saint Paul, MN

Ikea Table Hack

Ikea is a great store with cheaper finds than other furniture stores which is why Ikea hacks are so great! My friend bought her first table from Ikea years ago so it was special to her, but didn't have the character she was looking for. I transformed it with just a few easy changes.
ikea table hack, chalk paint, diy, painted furniture
Here is the table before.. Start by painting it white with a white chalk paint.
Use 1x6's stained in dark walnut stain to plank across the top of the table.
Screw them onto the top of the table to create a new tabletop! Seal the wood with a polyurethane to protect it.
Now it's a rustic farmhouse table with minimal cost in supplies. Visit my blog for the full tutorial at Mommy's Tool Belt!
Christina

• Jean Smooth

Awesome but why did you want to use chalk paint?

• Christina

Chalk paint sticks to anything so there was no need to prep the surface of the table before painting!

• Sherri

Did you screw to planks from underneath so the screws don't show? Or did you screw into the table from the top? If the latter, are the screws hidden somehow?

• Christina

The screws are screwed in from the top evenly across the boards. They are dark wood screws so the blend well with the walnut!

• JOHN

I need a bit of insight....I am about to do this very thing to a BIG (3' X 9') table..... and I have a friend giving me some Cherry and Walnut to do it with. Pretty pumped.... The easy way I thought of is your way, but then I was a bit concerned that it may be a bit too high..... I know all tables are 29", so although this only adds 3/4" (or 1" for my boards), does it feel odd as you're eating?

• Christina

Nope the height is still fine.. Hardly a difference :) Good luck with your project!!