Becky
Becky
  • Madisonville, LA
Asked on Apr 24, 2012

Help! grounding wire cut!

Midlantic Contracting LLC / Midlantic Electric Inc3po3Becky
+3

We had some trees cut down and today the stump grinder guy cut the grounding wire that grounded our swimming pool pump. Is this something I can fix myself and if so how? Appreciate your advice.
  • 3po3

I"m always inclined to hire a pro for electric work, especially for something this potentially dangerous. Can you get the tree contractor to cover the cost of electric work, since it was his fault?

• Concrete Creations

Totally agree with Steve, with electricity always use a license professional.

• HDK Electrical Enterprises

Most pools are pretty well grounded several different ways. That said the ground wire still needs to be reconnected. If you have access to the break you should be able to purchase a Split bolt from Lowes or Home Depot to fit the ground wire and just connect the two ends back together.

• Becky

That's exactly what an electrician did when he fixed it. Cost $100. After I watched him I realized that i could have done it myself if I had known what to use.

• 3po3

I have often paid good money, then realized after watching the pro that I could have done it myself. However, in this case, I think $100 is certainly worth the peace of mind of knowing it was done safely.

• Becky, you got a good deal and it was done right, When it comes to electricity you can't be too safe. That $100 was not just for a split bolt bug and a little labor. Most of it was for the knowledge he possessed to know how to fix it and what to use. "If" is a big word. If I knew why my car battery died I would have fixed it myself. But I pay my mechanic because he does know. We can't do everything so some things are best left to the Pro. Especially ones that can kill you if done wrong.