Jennifer Decorates
Jennifer Decorates
  • Murfreesboro, TN

Faux Tile Backsplash

$60

I recently discovered a new product called "Weathered Stone". It feels like thick paper, but once you are finished with your project, you cannot tell that it isn't tile! Really! You can purchase scrap pieces for a lot cheaper. Below is a detailed tutorial on how I made this project.

faux tile backsplash, diy, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling, Instead of applying the faux tiles to the wall I placed them in a frame

Instead of applying the faux tiles to the wall, I placed them in a frame.

faux tile backsplash, diy, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling, See It looks like thick paper

See! It looks like thick paper!

faux tile backsplash, diy, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling, Here I started laying out my design

Here I started laying out my design.

faux tile backsplash, diy, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling, The grouting is easy and fun

The grouting is easy and fun.

faux tile backsplash, diy, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling, I found this little metal piece in the jewelry aisle at the craft store Everything looks a little better with a little bling

I found this little metal piece in the jewelry aisle at the craft store. Everything looks a little better with a little bling! Purchase Weathered Stone

faux tile backsplash, diy, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling, Seal with two coats Cleanable durable loveable

Seal with two coats! Cleanable, durable, loveable.

• Grout
  • Sealer
Jennifer Decorates

• Keemee

Your creation is beautiful!!! Where did you find the weathered stone? Thanks for sharing your masterpiece!

• Doris

Could this be done using old wallpaper sample books that have a marbled texture? I think I will experiment.

• Carol

I would love it if you would tell us where you were able to purchase scraps of the faux weathered stone and grout. Is it only available online, or do some retail stores carry it as well? The link for more information does not work.

• Michelle

Google it! 😊

• Carol

I did Google it, and found the Weathered Stone website, but nowhere to purchase "scraps" of the stuff on the cheap. I did not find any retail stores that sell it. As a couple of us have mentioned, the link for more information does not work.

• LaFawne

If you click on the REMNANTS tab, it offers different colors and sizes. Not cheap though!

• Liz

If you can't find it, we used a washable, vinyl wallpaper in a faux stone pattern. It was pre-pasted , but we also used wallpaper adhesive on the wall as a kitchen back-splash. After letting it dry for about 3 days, we sealed it with a water based poly. It can be wiped clean with a damp cloth, & it looks so real! You can also find vinyl wall paper in designs that look like ship lap, pallet wood, barn wood, brick, and tile and stone. We saved a ton of money!!

• Carol

Thanks, Liz, that's great information. I still would like to do a project like this, but it seems that you have to purchase 100 remnants for about $1 apiece from Weathered Stone, which is ridiculous. I love your idea, though, and I'm going shopping at our wallpaper store in the near future!

• Mum5950423

Can this be used behind a gas stove

• Sandra

Does it wash up? I mean, can I wash it when I clean my kitchen or,it gets something on it?

• Bobbi Ayers Bare

Love the look! There was nothing detailed about this tutorial.... Looks like paper, lay out design, grout it, seal it???? Really is that it?

• Jeanne Martin

Her post states "to see more" with a link to her website. I have no doubt that more detailed instructions are listed there. Unfortunately that link is not currently working. You know that Hometalk has size limits for each DIY project posted, right? That's one of several reasons almost every project posted says "To see more click here" near the bottom

• Cindy Means Zuniga

There is no page found when you click on the link to see more

• Danielle

Would this work outdoors?

• Dennie

Yes. Google Weathered Stone and you can find out about it.

• Ally Tassos

Hi I'm desperate to complete this project by thanksgiving but your link doesn't work. I have no idea where to buy the materials -weathered stone or the steps necessary especially about adhesive and grouting. http://www.hometalk.com/1599488/faux-tile-backsplash" target="_blank">http://www.hometalk.com/1599488/faux-tile-bac.... Please help. tiki416@verizon.net Thank you.

• Sherri Purves

Your Link is a dud.

• Dennie

This looks like a good idea....but are you aware that you page link is no longer there?

• Ardale

Where do you buy this weathered tile paper????? Simply beautiful and the added bling makes it even more beautiful.

• Dennie

I Googled Weathered Stone and read all I could find about it. It seems to be a remarkable product. Is this what you used for your framed backsplash?

• Shawna Bailey

Yes, she did. It does look really cool. I wonder how it holds up with time?

• Dennie

Shawna....I don't know how it would hold up. On their web site I saw that you could order remnants. I'm thinking of doing that to see how it is.

• Danielle Whatsittoyou

If you needed it to be super durable or long lasting, I'm sure that there is some type of sealant that you could put on top of your design to make it last. Wherever you end up buying the product from could probably tell you what would be best to use in your specific application or at least what not to use if there are any restrictions.
    • Cathi DiRuzzio Agar

With a few coats of the Polyurethane sealer shown in the post it should hold up well
  • Sus5889970

Why is the person who created this look not answering questions? I, too, am interested on how to find the weathered stone and discouraged by lack of direction. The link is not present.
    • Danielle Whatsittoyou

I can't answer why you're not getting responses fast enough for your liking. However, Google immediately brought up several places to purchase this product. I would imagine that if you Googled 'installers' in your area, you could contact those businesses to see if you could purchase their remnants or possibly even just collect for free whatever they would be throwing away. Just a suggestion.
    • Jeanne Martin

Or call around to wallpaper stores to see if they have remnants of the tile look wallpaper. You could cut those to any size or shape you want. There are so many different types of tile look wallpaper I’m pretty sure you could get enough different colors to achieve this look.

• Lori Ann Dupont

Helooooooo? Looking for more details and information. Your link is not working... where do I get remnants? Detailed instructions?
  • CJ

What was your cost for this project?

• Jennifer Decorates

Well, only around $60. They sell the scrap pieces, and you get over 100, so I split the cost and product with a few friends.

• Barbara

I want to do this, but where do I get the paper, how do I apply the grouting, how is it finished? The blog has no link at all for this project.