Jasmin
Jasmin
  • Canada
Asked on Jun 6, 2013

ICK! What to do with the brick on this house?

ArdellEL HoardCyndie S
+95

Looking for suggestions on repairing this brick and then after that .... Paint? Stain? So many ugly flaws and no clue what to do. Masonry is deffo not my forte but there has to be some sort of great DIY solution to this aside from paying 257437575 bajillion dollars to have it re-surfaced professionally.... any thoughts? A lot of the brick has been eroded from years of neglect. Curious how you might cover them over and look alright - Labour and hardwork are no issues .... just looking for a decent product or idea. Thanks so much!
q ick what to do with the brick on this house, concrete masonry, curb appeal, painting, Look at the next few photos to see the close up of the bricks for those saying nothing is wrong with the brick lol oye yoy yoy its bad
Look at the next few photos to see the close up of the bricks - for those saying nothing is wrong with the brick lol . oye yoy yoy ... its bad,
q ick what to do with the brick on this house, concrete masonry, curb appeal, painting, the far right side of the house
the far right side of the house
q ick what to do with the brick on this house, concrete masonry, curb appeal, painting, the bottom right corner of the front door
the bottom right corner of the front door
q ick what to do with the brick on this house, concrete masonry, curb appeal, painting, extreme close up of the brick now eroded further behind the mortar levels
extreme close up of the brick - now eroded further behind the mortar levels.
q ick what to do with the brick on this house, concrete masonry, curb appeal, painting, over the front door
over the front door
30 of 96 answers
  • Wanda sinnema

start by professional cleaning, repair and re-tucking...they can help you make the next descision based on condition and cost paint or not..I wouldn't but, if they say its so bad then do it.. I'd keep with period style fixtures, wrought iron railings and period colors, look into historical photographs for the area.If painting, I'd choose maybe a med dove soft gray, white trim, black shutters, planter boxes, light fixtures and railings. and a POP of color on the door.. Some type of porch will help the rain and dirt from inside, new walk to front door. Not being sure which side drive is yours, If its on the left, access steps from that side also. Change the deck, I would : remove the walk and steps, expand it a bit if possible, lower it by about half the height it is now, put 2-3 steps being parallel with the driveway. Porch access would be between the door and window, down a step or two. This would create an outdoor room, 2-3 step down would seperate it from the entry area, add some privacy with either trellis or lattice work on the side by the car. Window boxes on the upper levels and or shutters, off black or dark gray.

• Jmauermeyer

i agree with professional cleaning, repair ...some shutters perhaps (a period color ) and a pretty front porch with flowering bushes/ greens ....it needs color ! not painting the brick ...tht never seems to look right ?? enjoy the challenge !!

• Freda

I would repair the brick , you don't want to take the character away from the house I would have the house professionally done. it looks as if over the door there used to be a roof of some kind, I would build that back. build a new deck area, you only need one set of steps leading to the house, use some kind of manufactured decking. clean the yard completely(everything) have the walkway to the other side so it goes directly the door some type of door to let light in and beautiful from the outside and don't forget to paint it. lay new sod after the deck is done you have an new area for plants, maybe some window boxes,, shutters would be nice if you have the space. if you could extend the roof all across the house a nice old fashion swing would be nice. simple furniture so that the flowers add the color and maybe add a tree , I think that would look pretty ....

• Pam W

cover it up with a portico roof

• Myra Hyde

I would paint the bricks and lose the steps on the right and put a porch across the front. Dont forget to paint door a poping color!

• Debbie Esker

I wo uldn't paint the brick but I would add some dark colored shutters and change the door. Painting the trim, adding a rich red door and shutters would be great!

• Tammy M

I think the brick needs to be painted. It's not a very pretty color and is in bad shape. I would paint it and add a porch roof across and take out the funky looking deck rails and the stairs. It is too modern looking for the house and doesn't suit the age of the home. You have a diamond in the rough there. It will be beautiful if you do it right. Please post pics. I hate never seeing the end result. Haha

• Linda Wingert-Turiak

First, take the deck down. Power wash or sandblast the brick to clean it up. Do not paint the brick. Build a new covered porch across the entire front of the house. Take the clear glass out of the windows over the front door and the downstairs window and replace it with stained glass. Add some shutters in a medium muted color gray and paint the front door cranberry or plum. I add a front porch swing, furniture and some potted plants going down the new front porch steps. To finish it up, add some landscaping and a new walkway. Almost forgot, the two accent pieces of wood under the eve of the roof of the house paint the same color as the front door.

• Rita Doyle

@Linda Wingert-Turiak yeah~ I'm with you ! draw that ey UP away from that front yard mess!

• Wanda sinnema

another thougth I'd pass on....I LIVE IN A BRICK HOME,,,,1949 vintage...Get a PROFESSIONAL CONSULT. DO NOT CLEAN the BRICK yourself.. You may further damage what needs to be repaired and its a MUCH BIGGER JOB than it looks,,,It will be so worth in in the final results Use you energy and time elseware in this project,,,it will be stunning..please take lots of photos and let use see your results....

• Jeanette S

@Wanda sinnema Agree! Brick has a glaze that if sandblasted or pressure washed can become damaged...leading to more deterioration!

• Jasmin

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. Specifically to people that have tried any do it yourself brick repair products and what works best. I understand consultations would be best, but curious about products more so.

• Nita M

Hun your going to have to wash the brick with a pressure washer. Then fill with mortar yourself. After its dried you can paint the whole house. Where there was a Dormer over the door it will be covered by the wood you are using to put you a roof across the front of the house. I would also dress up the window in the front or take it out and add a door for more of an appealing look. Another idea...... Stucco the whole house. Also we have had brick problems ourselves, and on one house we took the brick off and put siding. The other we did stucco. I like the stucco best.

• Magpye

paint each one a different color -- psychedelicize the entire thing. But that's just my opinion.

• Vicki

Hi, I would have all the damaged bricks replaced with new bricks, odd colors would be fine if you intend to plaster over or paint the bricks.

• Wanda sinnema

BRICK s and MORTAR are tricky....I would get a consult.....WHY? they were not made like to day, techniques have changed,INGREDIENTS a nd STANDARDS also,, his house was built there were NONE. Last thing you want is a repair and find yourself 6-7 yrs later redoing the redo.. the mortar can have a reaction, where it gets a crusty white hard coating,,,looks like a hard mold,, its the lime seperating out. Power washingCAN get it off,,but more of the mortar too, causing more damage...GET A PRO CONSULT pay more now ,REWARDS will be LATER, you may even be able to work with them, having them teach you the correct repair on this. Replacing damaged bricks on a project this size is not easy, its not like decking or a window....SEVERE WEATHER may be the problem,,,,if you arer still determend to do it yourself,,,,check with others in the area, DRIVE AROUND look for same problems TALK to owners.....

• Wanda sinnema

After looking at more of your photos,,,,,you have quite a mess..... combined severe weather in your area, with old old workmanship and techniques.... its TIME thats taken its toll....I'll say it again,,,,, CONSULT first,,,,, they May be able to fix the major things(around the door) show you the techniques, or tell you the next step...Maybe after, repaied an epoxy latex paint to over the brick to keep it from you having a pile of sand instead of mortar..I think not being a pro at this,, its weather damage,,issue is now HOW TO STOP MORE from happening..We have some as we live by PUGET SOUND and have wind and rain...the side that getsthe heavy wind and rain,,,,is damaged, luckily not as bad as yours..As a do it yourself-er....bite thebullit and call someone......

• Wanda sinnema

WE painted the foundation of our house with MASONARY PRIMER AND PAINT.... you are a long ways from that step..

• Gayle P.

I would fix the bricks then stucco it in a nice clay or lighter color. It's got to be hard trying to work with masonry. Things here are brick or wood. I have seen some pretty stucco homes though, then do landscaping to set it off. It looks like a much older home. I love older homes they have bones and character.

• Wanda sinnema

OLD type stucco is not good in a damp climate,,, that being said, there is a newer type way of doing it that has a (latex ?) product in it making it fine for your area, if thats what you choose. Here in Puget Sound region, the a COMMUNITY COLLEGE trades program is useing it. We saw it a few years ago at a home and garden show. Just a though for you..

• Phillip Williams

Wow! What are those bricks made of? I have never seen anything like that! You definitely need a local professional to assess the damage and determine why this has occurred. If the home is of true brick construction and not just veneer you may have a serious structural issue. I would really like to hear what has caused this.

• Sandy

I would start with a professional consultation. They are usually no charge and there are several questions that they can answer: type of brick and type of mortar as well as a cost estimate. That will help you research and develop a plan of attack. Then you can decide if DIY is the answer. Looks like there was a porch with a ceiling over part of the front and it would be great if you could replace that at some time. I believe the front door needs the frame replaced with period wood. Also the front door and one window that has a transom would look great with stained glass at the top of each. Once you find out the materials in your brick and mortar you can decide whether to bring it back to the original look or, if stucco would be a better option. Great house with lots of potential. Let us know what you do.

• Jeanette S

Depending on your budget and your expertise as a DIY person. This is one of those houses that could be stunning! I would repair the brick and wash it down...gently...to avoid any further damage or seepage into cracks. If you are opposed to painting, this style would lend itself to a whitewashed look...were it me, I would paint it to protect the brick and cover the flaws. Build a deeper, more useble covered porch all the way across the house with the steps at only the side where the door is located. I would not put the steps going up in front of the door but would make them go up sideways toward the left and turn on the last couple of steps toward the door. That way, the porch would be more private. If you want more privacy, instead of rails, put up some posts a little over 4' tall for the railing and then lattice for privacy. A couple of sheets of lattice put up 8' tall would also add some privacy and a beautiful climbing rose could be planted to run up on it! You can get lattice in white plastic! Posts and railing too...no painting, no upkeep! Additionally, I would accent the door and windows in the Federal Look to make it even more stunning!

• Rita Doyle

Any newer photos of what you've done?

• I understand that you don't want to pay to have it professionally resurfaced, but there aren't too many options that WON'T cost a lot of cash. I would bite the bullet and get an estimate on resurfacing. If it can be done, it's probably the quickest solution.

• Katie

It looks to me like someone has sandblasted the brick in the past which has lead to the horrible condition they are in today. Sandblasting was very popular in the 70's and many beautiful Victorian homes have suffered enormous damage as a result. Repairing this brick would be extremely costly, if it could even be done. My suggestion would be to get a consultation about wrapping the house in a layer of insulation, then Tyvek; strap it and cover t with board and batten. You can do that for anywhere from a relatively low cost on up to however much money you have to spend. You can get a natural wood and paint/stain it or let it age naturally. You can also buy it made with other types of materials that are pre-painted. You could also add a roof to the entire front porch and a little gingerbread later if you wanted an older look. GOOD LUCK! I would love to see before and after, whatever you decide.

• Funnygirl

if you live in a larger city they may have a school of masonry.have them do the repairs that need it done the most !or cut out the broken pieces and try to do it yourself?I. Have done some in the past.it can be difficult to make it look perfect?One day I saw a mason teaching a younger man how to do it and hired them to do some work.once they or you finish the brickwork,I would power wash the house then prime and paint the lower part of the house a lighter gray or grayish white paint from the 2nd floor window ledge. Top half of the house is beautiful.You could tie in the house by painting the top corbels of the house the same color as the lower section.paint the window trim,door and deck a soft pastel color.Window boxes on all 3 railings.A fountain between the 2 staircases.flags on the posts?dress up the upright posts with finials?great house?Don't forget to add some big fancy house numbers and a wreath on the door!paint the dental at the top of the house the same color at the bottom.the eave trim under the roof is beautiful!That should be painted the same color as your door and window trim!Almostmissed the trim! add some window boxes to 2nd flood windows or shutters,Same colors as door and window trim-love pink,love light blue or light aqua.

• Cindy Moore

I would bite the bullet and get some professional to help with options. I don't mind the color of the brick. Patching with like-colored stucco would look OK as well. The porch area I would change. Take out the two sets of steps. Bring a roof over the length of the deck and just use the side in front of the door. New landscaping to lend itself to the new porch. Good luck. That's a ton of work!

• Nivasi Frankly-Speaks

After repairing broken brick and mortar, I would paint it bright yellow, give it a happy color. If you don't want to paint it, vinyl it.. It has lots of potential.Porch cover over the entry .. clean up the over growth up front and make the porch welcoming with a large flower box. I agree, take out one of the stairs.Would love to see what it looks like after the repairs!

• Cyndie S

Is it full size bricks or that brick veneer they make? If it's on good and tight, you could stucco over it maybe. I think I'd rip it off and start over. You could do the front with a more costly fix and the sides and back with siding or something more cost effective. I agree tho, call a pro first for ideas and estimates. Hoping you got a good price on your home considering the issue.

• EL Hoard

You may try slurry over the old brick. Color can be added to the slurry as well. This would allow the brick shape to show through keeping the older character of the building intact.

• Ardell

after repairing brick by the best and sensible money ways idea i woud remove set of stairs on right, make this a porch and add a slanted roof. paint the house with appropiate type paint in a sage green and add shutters on the two side by side windows in a cream color.