Kim {Tidbits&Twine}
Kim {Tidbits&Twine}
  • Danville, CA
Asked on Jun 6, 2013

How Can I Fix My DIY FAIL?

Linda SchovanecKathie taylorGinger Mosley, Realtor with UTR-Texas Realtors LLC
+9

I had the brilliant idea to chalk paint a velvet chair....well, it seemed like a good idea at the time! Don't get me wrong, I L-O-V-E chalk paint, but my chair doesn't have the look I had hoped for. Because I had to seal it with a Satin Finish, the fabric now has a sheen to it that I don't like. Although the wood in the two pictures below looks different, the wood is exactly the same - I painted the velvet part! Is anyone familiar enough with chalk paint to advise how I mix "fix" the sheen issue? I'm hoping to remedy this without reupholstering? Also, just to clarify, I didn't use chalkboard paint (like the kind for writing on), but rather chalk paint (a chalk and mineral based paint).
q how can i fix my diy fail, chalk paint, chalkboard paint, painted furniture
  • Cyndi

will it remain flexible with the type of paint you used or will it crack if someone sits on it? you could always use sand paper to take the sheen off if the shiny look is all that is bothering you.... the shine does't look bad, I thought it looked like leather when I first saw it, but perhaps if you stained the wooden chair a bit darker color it would blend a bit better.... can I ask, did you intend to write on the chair? (why chalk paint?)

• Z

Have you tried a deglosser yet? http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgproduct.asp?pid=241

• Cathy Kurpil

Not bad I like the lighter wood in the first picture, with the gray

• Kim {Tidbits&Twine}

@Cyndi - no, I haven't tried sanding the sheen off but that's something I could try. I also should have clarified that I didn't put chalkboard paint on it (like the kind that you write on), but rather chalk paint, which chalk and mineral based paint (as opposed to latex or oil).

• Kim {Tidbits&Twine}

@Z - thank you for the suggestion! I'm not familiar with that product but will look it up.

• Z

You should be able to find it in your local HoDe L's or other hardware/paint store. They all carry it. Just ask.

• Jessica C

Actually, I think it looks nice the way it is.

• Shabby Paints

Kim if you need some help with this email me shannon@shab2fab.com. I think we can save this. Shannon

• Collette Hemmes Rock

I like the look of the chair as well so I wouldn't call it a total fail the ideas suggested above sounds like a good one

• I just saw your post. If you still want an idea to help with your lovely chair, I suggest paint again with the chalk paint because it adheres to anything and then clear wax instead of clear coat.

• Kathie taylor

Guess I'm strange, but I don't under stand paint on fabric. Two boxes of Rit dye in a bucket of hot water and a paint brush to apply works wonders. Altho that doesn't help, do try a fine grit sand paper.

• Linda Schovanec

I think it looks good.