Mother Daughter Projects
Mother Daughter Projects
  • Tallahassee, FL

Hidden Jewelry Box

I (Vicki) was inspired to make a jewelry display with a humble bamboo tray from the thrift store. It had seen better days, but still had another life in it. It’s funny how ideas evolve—when I brought it home, my first thought was to add wine corks to the bottom and use it as a serving tray. I tried the corks, but was unhappy with the look as corks are not a consistent size, plus I had fewer than I thought
hidden jewelry box, crafts, how to, organizing, storage ideas
Materials/Tools:
- Bamboo or wood tray—this one is 8” X 13"
- Metal sign—this one is 8” X 8” from Michaels and just happened to fit perfectly, I soaked it in water and used Goo Gone to remove the picture which was actually a large sticker
- Cork sheets—these are 12" x 12” tiles.
- Spray paint—Rust-Oleum seaside
- Magnets—5mm Neodymium Disc Magnets
- E 6000 Craft Glue (toxic—use in well ventilated area)
- Scrap of velvet from the other project
- Cardboard
- Small frame
- Rub 'n Buff in patina
- Spray adhesive
​- Glue gun/hot glue
Step 1: Cut two pieces of cork to fit the tray. Glue together, glue into place in the tray.
Step 2: Spray paint all the parts, tray, metal sign (after the sticker is removed), frame, & cork. Use the Rub ’n Buff on the frame if desired.
Step 3: Drill holes in which to fit the magnets. Go slowly as you don’t want the holes to deep. Follow the instructions for the E6000 glue and glue into place. Let dry overnight or for the time recommended in the instructions. ​
Step 4: Cut the cardboard to size, spray with spray adhesive, attach velvet. Glue this in place in the tray. I used a couple of map pins to hang the necklace on in the secret compartment.
And your done! A nice jewelry display with a secret!
Check out our blog for more details.
Mother Daughter Projects

• Robyn Kozuch

Really like your idea. I also really like the large picture frame holding necklaces in the same picture. Assuming you also made this, can you please explain how? I truly would love to make one! Thank you

• Mother Daughter Projects

Hi Robyn, I'm glad you like the project. Click the above link to find the tutorial for the frame. I'd love to see what you make. Come back and post a picture.

• Nancy Hetzke

What is the holder for the stretchy bracelets made of?

• Martha

Impressive project! It turned out beautifully. I love your idea of using the magnet s and sign!

• Linda

That is a really clever idea. I like that alot. Thanks