Simple Sconces From Teacups & Plates

One of the Facebook pages I follow always posts pictures of Cardinals eating from feeders made from a cup, saucer/small plates & chain. I decided I wanted to make my own. I went to Goodwill & found a couple cups, but got bread plates instead of saucers, as they gave more space for the bird seed. I made my feeder, but while I was in the process of it, I decided that I liked the way it would look on a wall, then thought I'd put one of my battery-powered tea lightset in it. I loved it. I have 2 different patterned ones, and went back to get more plates & cups today.
Today I got salad plates instead of bread plates, as that was all they had.
The teacup
These are picture frame hangers that came in a picture-hanging caddy. They are actually flat with 2 teeth sticking out of the bottom part for piercing the wood frame.
I used pliers to flatten the teeth down, and to bend out the loop at an angle.
I place the cup on the plate the way I want it to rest, then note the 3 areas I need to glue. I glue a small area on the outer edge of the base, a small area on low to mid bowl area, & one where the handle will touch to the plate.
Making sure I have the cup area lined up and centered, I turned the plate around and glue the hanger to the back. I think it would possibly work a little bit better moving it further down the plate.
This is the first one I made. I prefer using the old-fashioned shallow teacups for this.
The second one I made. This was made from a chipped cup & chipped bread plate from my great-grandmother's China, which I now have. I had already bought replacement pieces, but couldn't part with the chipped pieces. I used battery-powered tealights, but I think it would be okay to use tealights candles. The foil will keep the wax from getting into the cup.
I just added this picture in. This is the bird feeder that I made first, that gave me the idea for the sconces.
This is how I attached the chains on the bird feeder. I think if I make another feeder, I will glue pop tabs on the under-side of the plate, as if making a sconce, but in 3 places, then attach the chains there.
Then I opened a link & hooked it to the rim of the plate, then glued it in place.
Some asked what the pattern on the feeder is. It's the same as my first sconce.
I'm putting a couple more pics of new sconces in the comments, as I have put the maximum allowed in the main post.

• Jes4511598

This is maybe a stupid question but what do you mean by "Once I had the cup Louisville and centred"

• Suzanne Stoltz

suspect "autocorrected" for 'located'....

• Donna White Phillips

Probably meant LEVEL & centered

• Wee5317364

Hahaha! Gotta love autocorrect. I'm going to try the bird feeder.

• Sue perry spann

i really get perturbed with autocorrect - always makes me say something i didn't nintendo...

• Brilliant! ! I could see doing this with "grandma's" old China to make keepsakes for the Family!

• Gloria

You can correct AUTO -CORRECT. <SMILE>

• Cynthia Nye

Autocorrect is my own worst enema...

• Donna

autocorrect and getting my fingers on the wrong set of keys makes for some interesting comments :-)

• Bdo5404501

You can go to Help and ask to turn off autocorrect

• Kitty McCarty

I used to think auto-correct was the worst thing going--until I started using the "voice" for texting on my smartphone!! :-)

• Kitty McCarty

BTW: I love this idea to give on to each sibling using my Mom's beat-up old dishes.

• Linda Banks

I have alot of the old antique cup & saucer sets that used to be collected. Could they b used for this same idea?

• Maggie Ann

I still don't know what the word was that was autocratic to Louisiana.

• Jes4511598

Thank you lol. I once sent a text to my son saying " Hi son" and my phone autocorrected this to "Hi Simon". His name is John. Loved the idea with the cups and plates. Xx

• Lisa Myers

It means that I have a smart phone that puts in whatever words it wants! lol Thanks for the catch!

• Lisa Myers

I fixed it. It was supposed to say lined up, not Louisville. Gotta love auto-correct. NOT! lol

• Alicia

Leave the girl alone! I think her post is just darling.

• Barbara

My name is Barbara. My niece's phone autocorrected it to "barbeque" and she didn't notice it until I laughed about it to her!

• Barbara

And, it's not just auto-correct that plays tricks on you. I saw your last name and where you were from but read it as "Fort Myers" as in Florida. Guess it's because we used to go there a lot when I was a kid.

• None

I am curious what camera you used because the photos are amazing!

• Lisa Myers

I just used my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone camera. It sometimes takes better pictures than my Canon! lol

• Joy martin

I Love my GS6! :)

• None

I have an Iphone 6S plus and while I can get my fingerprints on a photo they aren't as clear as your photos came out. So your details are really great! I love the cup and saucers too :)

• Judy Allen Murphy

I have a set of both those dishes would you be interested in buy them. Judy PS your idea is really cute.

• Eloise

I can't quite see the pattern on the bird feeder. Is it a Noritake pattern? I may be interested in buying them if they're the same pattern as mine. Could you post a picture so that I could compare?

• Judy Allen Murphy

I will go and take a picture. I really don't know how to post it. But will do my best. Judy

• Lisa Myers

Eloise, this is the bird feeder pattern. It's the same as one of the sconces.

• Judy Allen Murphy

My dishes are ROYAL M by YAMAKA BALLET 809

• Roxanne

Replacement Ltd buys and sells China of all kinds. They are in North Carolina just off I40 near Greensboro. Very repeatable. Thank you for the wonderful details. Now I know how to do great projects of my grandparents China and will make one for my son and each grandchild.

• Eloise

Mine are Noritake Whitebrook

• Mary

Hangar?

• Bill Galovich

Hangar is a storage building for airplanes. Hanger is for hanging things.

• Millie

Correct Bill Galovich! :-)

• Ann4755134

Bill you are so smart!

• Maggie Ann

Perhaps she did mean hangar. After all, she said she "turned the plane around and glued the hangar to the back."

• Amarillolesa

Really? She takes the time to show us an idea and you get hung up on "typos"? Actually I went back through her descriptions and the ONLY error I found was when she typed plane instead of plate. You must be really bored.

• Lisa Myers

Yeah, gotta love smart phones! I went through & fixed the typos. Glad you pointed them out. :)

• Maggie Ann

I guess there are those out there who are incapable of distinguishing between good-natured mocking of autocorrect, and criticism of a blogger. I find the idea, and very good directions, wonderful. I was NOT insulting the writer. Life without humor renders life impossible. -- Colette

• Mary

Ladies before you make any more snide remarks, my phone cut me off before I finished my message. I dont know how to spell hangarc either so dont apprecite your catty comments. I resent the message about using soda pop caps for hangars! What a bunch of haters. Wont bother with ideas with you .....

• Alicia

Hangars....hangers...who cares!!

• Andrea Eskin

How do you keep the bird feeder on the chain? We have large birds & squirrels that would just knock it down & break it.

• Lisa Myers

@Andrea Eskin I have the 3 pieces of chain on a solid ring that I glued to the bottom of the plate, then where the chain meets the rim of the plate, I pried open that link, hooked it to the rim of the plate, then glued it in place. I really think I'm going to do it a different way next time. As far as squirrels, We only have tiny trees in our yard so squirrels aren't around, plus I have it hanging from the soffit by the front door.

• Lisa Myers

Here are a couple pics of how I attached the chains.

• Jackie

How do you keep the squirrels out of the feeder?

• Lisa Myers

@Jackie We don't have any trees in the yard, so we rarely get squirrels, but I have this feeder hanging from the soffit by the front door.

• Kathy

@ Jackie: You don't.

• Superbee

Why would you want to keep squirrels out.. They need food too. :)

• Michele Shaw

I love using teacups or teapots in my decor. Thanks for the idea!

• Runewitch

would the glue be poisonous for the birds to eat with the seeds???

• Rac5645968

Wouldn't the glue be set dry before the seed is used?

• Lisa Myers

The glue is dried, & isn't really where the seed is. It's a tiny amount.

• Deborah Morey

I dont know if E6000 is foodsafe or not. Loctite makes a silicone that is for use in aquariums, it is foodsafe. Some adhesives give off fumes and by products during the curing procerss (which is longer than just drying)that will be absorbed by food products. ALWAYS look for foodsafe or suitable for use in aquariums and/or safe for use around kitchen and foodstuffs. Many people jump in creating goodies left and right and are not aware that toxic chemicals in some glues can transfer to dishes and or food even if dry!

• Corinna Agee

How well dios the glue hold up I made one very similar is e6000 the right and best glue?

• Lisa Myers

Yes. E6000 is what I used. I also used it to glue 6 glass ashtrays together over a year ago, and it's holding pretty well. Pretty sconce, by the way. :)

• Corinna Agee

Thank you Lisa

• Lisa Myers

You're welcome!

• Deborah Morey

Over a period of time the E6000 will fail if outside all the time. Only use Silicone! I have done glass art for years and only use a heavy duty silicone.

• Tricia Kokoszka

Silicone is best especially outside. E6000 is fabulous but it will break down over time..

• Corinna Agee

Thank you tricia k . And that is what I'm finding that it is breaking out overtime so I will use silicone thank you for your advice

• Corinna, Your tea cup feeder is beautiful! i feel i should say, Hi neighbor! i grew up in Uniontown!

• Corinna Agee

Thank you.

• Julie

E6000 does not hold up well with attaching different materials together. . I use epoxy.

• Cyndi Dimanno-Valentine

E6000 does not hold up outside. Either marine glue or 100% silicone is best

• Michele Sandusky Jennings

What about heat? It gets very hot where I live. Does the glue on the plates hold up to that?

• Starr

It will, however I too live in a high heat area I use industrial clear outdoor silicone adhesive. It does flex so a little goes a very long way. Let dry 72 hours and it will survive harsh conditions. Hope that helps! Happy creating!

• Lisa Myers

I've had other things that stay outdoors that I've used this glue on, and have had no problems so far.

• Deborah Morey

I have been doing glass garden art for years and the E6000 will not stand the test of time outdoors. Use only 100% Silicone, either an automotive, marine or architectual grade. They usually have a temp range from-40F to 400F and will not dry, crack or discolor like a craft adhesive.

• She4453696

I've been using E6000 for years (craft glue) & found it didn't hold up for my Tea Cups on a copper pipe for outside or inside decor. I now found (by mistake) that the Automotive & industrial E6000 holds wonderfully with the ceramic stuff I make and put in my garden.Sheri Rockey Elma ,Wa.

• Michele Sandusky Jennings

Thanks, all! I'm thinking a marine grade 100% silicone might be best for my area, based on these answers. The temperature her can range from 0° to 110°

• Penni Sue Acosta

Can you buy the Automotive E6000 in the same craft section or is it in the automotive section?

• Jackie Bole

E6000 is industrial strength. You can buy it at your local JoAnn's or sewing center.

• Jolene Holcombe

I have a comment, not a question. I make tea cup bird feeders all the time. You can buy jewelry bails and glue 3 of them spaced evenly apart to the bottom of the saucer or plate using E6000 glue. Then you just hook your chain to the bails by loosening the end link and tightening back up with needle nose pliers. I have also just started drilling three holes instead of gluing the bails. You will need large jump rings to attach in the holes and then you can attach your chain to those. I was lucky enough to get a drill press from my kids for Xmas, so drilling the holes is a breeze!

• Lisa Myers

Thank you Jolene! Not sure if I'm gonna do any more of the feeders, but I'll keep this in mind if I do. :)

• Jan

Great to know, Jolene! I've been wanting to try making bird feeders from old plates and saucers, and this info is very helpful.

• Kathy Gydus

If you're using E6000 glue for an outdoor project be sure to use the waterproof one.

• Joan

what brand of silicone glue?

• Evelyn

E6000 is the best glue I've ever used for crafts that I want to bond permanently. I got these small tube from Target. Walmart and Craft stores carry them as well. I have a big tube but bought these smaller ones so I can have one in every area of my house. Sometimes I forget where I stash things. They're about $4.00 and change.

, E6000 permanent glue for all your craft needs I bought this from Target
    • Lisa Myers

E6000 is what I use as well.

• Corinna Agee

Marine glue is tougher weather proof just FYI e6000 degrades after a while marine glue is water weather safe used on boats :)

• Kathy Neal Kuhar

Lisa, thanks for the glue tip. Home Depot has an Amazing Goo marine glue. I'm going to try it

• Idr22210848

Has anyone tried the "IRON ORE" silicone adhesive from Home Depot? It says it adheres where others won't. I like using a silicone adhesive for outside but wondered if anyone had any problems with it degrading over time?
  • Candy

Where do you the E6OOO glue?

• Jill

I buy mine at Wal-Mart, home depot, and hobby lobby

• CAZ

I do too, and also at any hardware store

• 153091

also Dollar General sells e-6000

• Lisa Myers

Any craft store, hardware store and most grocery stores in the hardware section.

• Ardale

You can also get the E-6000 glue at Menards

• Candy

Would you say that this glue is better than Gorilla Glue?

• Eleanor S. Young

Yes e6000 does not swell and dries clear a better product.

• Peggy Goodenough

I found it at Rite Aid

• Karen

I looked in the hardware department at Walmart and didn't see it but I found it in the craft department.

• Cheymandy

DOLLAR GENERAL. Very inexpensive for what it can do and endure.
    • Kristine Kelley Bailey

Lowe's carrries it.

• Mat26925672

I bought it at Michaels.
    • Sall

Amazon
    • Hb

Does the e6000 work well for outdoors or does it eventually deteriorate?
    • Sandi Smothers Sagerian

Yes, I've used it to repair some of m outdoor Christmas yard decor and it held up well in rain, cold, and heat. Coastal TX in December gets all this and more!
    • Katherine Wright

Works well on my outdoor decor...still intact after four years. Made some of those garden flowers from old dishes.
    • Valerie Suell

Home Depot and Lowes both sell E6000. I personally havent ever tried it. I am in serious like with Gorilla Glue Rapid Fuse, but it seems most EVERY DIY'er uses E6000. Must be good stuff!
  • Sandie Wrightson

Have you seen the tea cup upside down with a salad or dessert plate on top for a tea party?

• Kathy Ward

No I haven't ,heard of it but never seen one

• Lisa Myers

I've seen dinner plates on tall mugs that are turned upside down to make a cake plate.

• Sandie Wrightson

It's a smaller version of making a cake stand but the smaller ones can be used for tea parties,my grand daughters favorite pass time.

• Nancy

L

• Cam23995085

Beautiful !!!! What a great idea, thank you for sharing.
    • Beth

Turn your teacup upside down and glue the saucer on top, right side up, to use as a soap dish!

• Beth
  • Christine Poitras Rogers

I've used this glue often, when making Jewelery. I love the scones idea. I've been doing my dining room walls with plates and some are a bit heavy. How well would this glue hold to a serving plate? Using 2 hooks maybe better?
    • Lisa Myers

I would think it would work fine, but I have never tried it on anything larger than a salad plate. Maybe experiment on an oddball plate that has no value to you first. Good luck!
  • Connie

This is brilliant and so pretty. I especially love the tea lite idea. Going to try your invention. Curious what u paid for the dishes. Thx.
    • Lisa Myers

Thank you! Sorry, I am only just now seeing your comment, as I haven't been getting notifications for quite some time. They were pretty cheap. I bought most of then at Goodwill, usually $1 each piece, or half price if you get there on half-price day, usually a Saturday. Some, I found at rummage/estate sales.
    • Connie

U got lucky. The pattern is lovely. Going to try your idea. Thx for sharing.
  • Janerose

Great idea...especially for $ store /yard sale items...do u think they can be left out in our Northeast Winters?

• Lisa Myers

I wouldn't. They would get broken too easily, I think. If you want to do one for cold winters, maybe use an enamelware cup & plate. Not sure of cold weather's effect on the glue, though.

• Yolanda Elizondo Gonzales

I am a Tea Set collector, I love the Bird Feeder for my backyard deck‼️ Do you have any easy projects or ideas using Teapots⁉️

• Deborah

Try to cascade the teapots vertically somehow to have each pouring water into the one below making a water feature maybe ending in a birdbath or bowl at the bottom. A simple small aquarium pump would keep the water circulating.

• Sue Humphrey

Noticed your grandmothers dishes. I have same ones from my grandmother

• Phyllis

I collect English China tea cups, saucers and teapots, but I have several beautiful ones from China and Japan that I think will make beautiful sconces. Thank you for such a creative way to use what I love.