Lori W
Lori W
  • Durham, NC
Asked on Apr 24, 2012

I've tried topsy turvy tomatoes for past 3 years with very little result - plant usually ends up spindly and tiny tomato

Lisa McDanielKim PStephanie
+11

Am I doing something wrong? I've used miracle grow soil mixed with regular planting soil - never seems to thrive.
  • 3po3

Lori, are you growing the tomatoes from seed? And how much sun and water are the plants getting?

There's very little soil in those containers and tomatoes are heavy feeders. I suspect regular fertilization is one of the keys to success. And, as Steve suggests, getting sun is crucial.

• Lori W

I watered once a day and the tomatoes are in full sun. I have always purchased tomatoe plants, not seeds.

• 3po3

I would go to a good local nursery you trust, and ask them for fertilizer recommendations for these planters. I think Douglas is on the right track.

• Julee J

I have heard of other people with the same problem. Apparently, the container is a little small for the root system needed and container dries out too quickly

• Debi M

The topsy turvy didn't do well for me either. A friend of mine used a five gallon bucket and her tomatoes were huge. she just cut an X in the center of the bottom of the bucket, hung the bucket up and filled it 1/2 full of potting soil. I'm trying that this year.

• Lori W

Great suggestions - given me new hope - I'm definitely going to try at least one in the bucket - see what happens!

Good luck, Lori. Let us know how it goes.

• Susan S

Lori - same here as Debi said. My husband has tried them the past 2 years w/just so so results. Even if a light weight soil is used and not even filled to the top, it gets extremely heavy. He hung ours off shepherd's hooks and still had to anchor them w/wire to a deck post to keep them from falling over. Think we'll go back to a large plastic tub - holes drilled in bottom for drainage.

• Stephanie @ Garden Therapy

It's definitely tricky. I've written a whole post on this here: http://gardentherapy.ca/plant-an-upside-down-tomato/

• Stephanie

I have tried the topsy turvy with no results. My Dad starting using the buckets and got great results. I used buckets this year with amazing results!

• Kim P

I used that topsy turvy last year, and had about 5 cherry tomatos. (I live in a apt and have a small yard but tons of slugs) I had always used large planters in the past, and had huge plants with lots of tomatos on them until I tried that thing. This year my cherry tomatos are back in a large planter (with the tomato cage around them because they need the support) and I have a large supply of tomatos, and still lots more on the plants.

• Lisa McDaniel

I have used the Topsy Turvy for several years and didn't have any problems with it. A few yrs (4) I bought some that came with a stand, I forget the cost but I ordered 2 not realizing that they came two to an order, so that gave me 4.I had pest problems in 2013 and didn't get many 'maters. And in 2014 I had birds wanting to nest in it which I thought was awesome ! I thought at first my hubby was stuffing grass in it as a joke until I went to clear it out and realized I had just thrown a nest WITH eggs in it on the ground. I put it back and let the birds win that year. This year I bought plants as I didn't have the space to grow from seeds. And while it has 6 holes only 2 have the foam circle to hold the plant and keep the soil in ( my guess anyhow ) I used 4 since I am the only one who eats them I figured I'd get some off of one plant at least. As you can see mine are doing well. I have them in full sun and water every other day or 2. I filled it with soil to about 2 -3 inches from the top.

• See More