LOVEofdiy
LOVEofdiy
  • Hogansville, GA

Vintage Tin Can Planter

I wanted to utilize a old vintage Uncle Ben's Rice tin can I was given. Completely fell in love with the beautiful art nouveau looking motif this tin has on it!
vintage tin can planter, chalkboard paint, container gardening, crafts, gardening, how to, repurposing upcycling
Gather your materials and bring them out to the front porch for a fun project! See what you need below.
Gather what you need
Tape off the space you are painting with chalkboard paint
Paint -3 coats
Transfer your printed design by using white carbon paper. Go to my blog to download my design. http://loveofdiy.com/vintage-tin-planter-chalk-paint-label/
Once you remove the paper template, color in the chalk transfer with Gel Pens
I found mine on Amazon
Spray with a clear sealer to protect from the weather.

• Large tin can - punch 5 or 6 drainage holes in the bottom  (A friend:) any time can will do..... Vintage is more fun)
  • Chalkboard - paint  (Gel pens in your favorite colors)
  • White carbon paper - or you can get a piece of white chalk and rub the back of your design after you  (Amazon)

LOVEofdiy

• Mic4816635

What about rust from the can? Over the next few weeks when you water your plants , the cans will start rusting and the surface where the cans will be sitting. I love to hear what you suggest. I have lots of cans I could put to use...

• Janice Grizzle

Love the tins ,they are real colorful... thanks for sharing

• Mamasmurf5000

I used to be able to save things like mixed nut containers.I would then find remnants of wall paper borders at thrift stores and cover them. I used them for cookie packages for gifts or bake sales.