How to Build a Fairy Garden Waterfall With Foam In A Can

I love Fairy Gardens so I wanted to build a waterfall and make it magical. I bought some cans of fire retardant Great Stuff and made it happen :-)
how to build a fairy garden waterfall with foam in a can, gardening, how to, ponds water features
I took apart an old aviary
Used some old water pieces that were no longer needed in our large waterfall / koi pond
Built a structure with the recycled wood. I used a drawer from an old plastic filing cabinet to hole the water for the waterfall.
I covered the entire structure in screen (regular window screening) and in layers sprayed the foam. I found the screen was a good conduit for the foam. The foam had to be put on in layers. If I went to high all at once, the foam fell. This process took about a week. Because this was going to go under our house, I bought the fire retardant foam. This is important because the regular foam is very flammable.
Then I spray painted the structure with various colors to give it an "island" look.
I put a dragon, on top of his jewels at the top :-)
Added some moss for texture, gnomes climbing up to steal their jewels back...yes, I love The Hobbit :-)
Added some fairy magic
3 years later, it is still in perfect condition. It brings much fun to our Granddaughters and we love the sound of the water trickling down the falls. So easy to do. Takes a little time but there is magic in a can of foam :-)
Our oldest Granddaughter needed a fairy garden for her house as well. So, with Great Stuff, we made it so. Each time we visit, I bring my foam and build an addition. This is after 2 additions and we have "room to grow". Spreading the magic is a necessity in our life :-)

• Great Stuff Fire Retardant Foam  (Any hardware store - mine came from Ace Hardware)
  • Fairy items  (I bought these at various places)
  • Screen, Wood, Spray Paint  (Any hardware store)
Janet Arceneaux

• Pat C

Very nice! Q: Does the water just re-cycle through the entire system or is new water inserted constantly?

• Janet Arceneaux

@Pat C Yes, it recycles from the drawer, up some tubing to the top and flows back down. I empty it about once a month and put fresh water because the "night bugs" collect in the drawer

• Kathy Arras

How is it waterproof?

• Jewellmartin

We have used the foam for sealing plumbing repairs. We never had a leak through the foam. I didn't know that some of the foam is highly flammable. I'll have to find an old can and see what we have been using. Thanks for the info, and Best wishes!

• Mary

Very inspiring! Gave me some ideas about using some stuff around the house.

• Kate

That is amazing! And I always love when kids are brought into the crafting process. Great work all around.

• Janet Arceneaux

Thank you :-) I am a firm believer in teaching imagination to our granddaughters. They grow much to fast