Ron D
Ron D
  • Denver, CO
Asked on Jun 7, 2013

Is gravel needed in a concrete footer for a brick planter?

CynthiaPAVERS DEPOTKMS Woodworks

I plan on builiding a brick planter adjacent to a paver patio that I am also building. In making a footer to support the planter, do I need to add grevel to the trench before pouring concrete, or can I just pour the concrete in the trench?
  • KMS Woodworks

I thinks this could go either way...of more concern would be a drainage option. depending on the depth of the planter and how it is "filled" a few short lengths of PVC pipe embedded in the footer to allow excess water to drain out. before the planter is filled. a thick bed of coarse stone with landscape fabric over the top to prevent soil from clogging the stone. Any trapped water could then drain out. My main concern would be with freeze thaw pressures from a saturated soil block.

• PAVERS DEPOT

SIMPLE SAKRETE WITH GRAVEL IN IT IS SUFFICIENT.. DIG THE FOOTER DEEP ENOUGH TO SUPPORT THE HEIGHT OF THE PLANTER WALL.

• Cynthia

I would use gravel to allow it to drain out of the bottom correctly.