Kelleysdiy
Kelleysdiy
  • Palm Springs, CA

Sea Shell Centerpiece Up Dated

It's almost Summer...vacations to the shore...collecting seashells and memories. This centerpiece would be perfect for a beach wedding also.
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
I have this round bowl that I use during the holidays filled with snow, balls and pretty lights. Well, I just made it a summer centerpiece. Come Christmas, I will need another bowl. You can purchase at craft stores, but unless you have a coupon, they get pretty expensive. I purchased mine at a local Walmart superstore.
And this is a update to the centerpiece: I painted some shells with Rustoleum God Metallic spray ...what do you think? Do you like the gold shells
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
They look so pretty! And while I was there I saw this place mat....This whole project began when I saw this beautiful place mat! I thought it was so interesting...reminded me of a big shell. Isn't it pretty! They only sell them in the store...not online. They are called: Mainstays Blossom Pressed Vinyl Place mat, Gold.
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
So with the bowl and the place mat I had the beginnings of a pretty project.
The place mat was round, so I began by cutting slits into the place mat so I could manipulate it around the round bowl. I taped it around the back of the bowl, I added a bit of hot glue to keep in place.
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
Excuse the blue paint on the place mat,I tested it first to see what it would look like.
After I was finished preparing it for painting, I took it outside to paint!
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
I used Rustoleum Metallic Gold. Love this color...so pretty!
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
I removed the mat, tape, glue.
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
It came out pretty nice. Very different. I started with putting some Hemp Rope around the edge. I decided to do 2 rows. I have never used rope before. I used 'Goop' multipurpose glue. You can use just about any kind of silicone glue, liquid glue, even hot glue if kept inside. Just make sure it dries clear.
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
I haven't ever applied rope to a project, so this was my first. I noticed the ends were raveled. I took some of the glue and twisted the ends of the rope with it. It worked. Learn something new everyday!
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
I put the rope around the bowl...2 rows. Now a little tip...some of you might already know. I have a spray bottle of alcohol kept in my craft room. Perfect for removing any hot glue messes from the glass....perfect.
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
Then it was time to add the sand, shells, pearls, and gold beads.
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
I had washed the shells really well. If you purchase them, most likely they will have already been washed and sealed. I used Rustoleum Clear coat to spray the shells to bring them back to their color. So pretty, I love the large white one in the back. I added the sand, higher in back. I then arranged the shells. When I was happy with the arrangement, I added gold beads and some shells from a bracelet I had purchased a long time ago.
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
I didn't have a short led candle, so I put a real candle in the center until I find a candle on a timer. You could also use fairy lights. But I would prefer a timer led candle...no cords and you don't have to fool with it.
sea shell centerpiece, crafts
I think this looks so pretty. I love how it turned out. The background of the bowl (from the place mat) makes it look so much more beachy!

• Round Bowl  (Walmart)
  • Place mat  (Walmart)
  • Sand  (hobby store, craft store, walmart)
Kelleysdiy

• Pamela Jordan

WHERE DID YOU FIND THE PLACEMATE?

• Kelleysdiy

I saw them at Walmart in the shower/towel/placemat isle. They have returned them this year! Yay!

• Denise Cox

Hello Kelly! I finally got around to trying this project. However, it came to a hault when my paint job didn't come out well. I know I didn't tape my pieces of placement as well as you... according to your picture. I'm wondering if your bowl was larger than mine?? I did buy my bowl from Walmart as you did, but perhaps yours was larger and therefore the placement fit better around the bowl. I think I'll get my next bowl from Ben Franklin's, althh I know I'll pay more. Any suggestions? Denise Cox

• Kelleysdiy

Mine is 7" across the top. I cut the placemat to size of back. It's a round bowl so you have to cut it in strips like In the pic so it will lay smooth.

• Sally Spencer-Flowers

I love this, I grew up on Aquidneck Island and I'm decorating my new home in Ohio to remind me of the beach. This is perfect for my coffee table.

• Kelleysdiy

@Sally Spencer-Flowers That's where it is sitting in my home. Summer time I always go with the 'beachy' shabby chic....love it!

• Sharon La Tour

I love it, so pretty!