Ivylore
Ivylore
  • Trenton, MI
Asked on Jun 7, 2013

Can you identify this plant?

IvyloreGypsyAnne gaddis
+21

This plant is growing wild near my fence and under a tree. Can you tell me what it is? Thanks a lot!
It seems to start out as a single tall stalk and then really spreads out as in the other picture.
The stems are kind of a brownish reddish color.It's gotten about 2-3 ft. tall so far!
  • Liz Holland

Could it be a dogwood?

• Liz Holland

Maybe not...

• TJ

I am a bit confused because the leaves on the right mature plant look somewhat different than the prominent one on the left. Is it vining or just spreading? Has it flowered yet?

• Cindy tustin

Looks kind of like a clematis?

• Lita

I think it's a weed. They grow everywhere in my yard and i pull them out.

• Anne Tighe

I agree, clematis, or maybe honey suckle...

• Anne Tighe

especially the second photo...

• Anne gaddis

looks like maybe red twig dogwood.

• Ivylore

Hmmm... none of them have flowered yet. I do have a clematis growing on the other side of the tree in the first picture; but I have tons of those single stalks plants all over. Perhaps they ARE different plants. I guess I'll let them grow a bit more to see if they do flower and maybe we can tell then. Thanks for all of your help! PS is a dogwood a tree/shrub?

• Virginia A

The single stalk plant looks like an elm seedling.

• Anne gaddis

red twig dogwood is a small shrub with the red branchs. mine has never bloomed so i dont know about blossoms.i dont think it is a clematis

• Susan Roquet

We have 3 red twig dogwood bushes and yes they do bloom. Also have a pink dogwood tree and was just loaded with flowers this year. Both are very beautiful additions to your landscape.

• Gypsy

Definitely red twig dogwood.

• Dianne Ballesty

I'd go with the dogwood, or maybe Kousa dogwood.

• Sal kemple

Tom e it looks like a filbert brought in by a young, ingenious and perhaps over anxious squirrel that may have forgotten where he planted it for safe keeping and it popped open this spring. So now instead of searching for just one filbert he'll have a bunch in a few years. They get planted in my yard all the time and I'm constantly having to pull them right along with walnuts. After all, they will all grow with little convincing, because once underground they do there thing...grow.

• Sheila Lynn

I have something that looks like this growing in my front yard. Pulled it up for years - finally let it grow out last year and it is stunning. I do not this clemantis tho - still searching for mine but can add a photo of blooms. Maybe not from where I am. Will do next week.

• It looks like a sucker from your tree. Certain trees send them up every year & cutting them off if all that you can do.

• Ivylore

Thanks again for all of the responses. I do think they may be 2 different plants, but I'm going to let them grow up a little and see what happens. If it is a red twig dogwood, I may keep it. The single stalk plants I may just pull up because they are all over the back :0

• Nancy Murray

It's not a dogwood. I have the same thing and it is a weed!!!

• Ivylore

Thanks, Nancy, what a dilemma!

• Anne gaddis

leave it for a year or so, you will have your answer. you can always dig it up. if it is a red twig it will still be there, if it is a weed it will die back. if it is a red twig it will grow bigger. i have had mine two years and it hasnt bloomed yet. i got the start from a friend , and she said it takes a few years for them to bloom

• Ivylore

Thanks, Anne. That's probably what I'll do!

• Gypsy

The best thing you can do is take a long cutting of it to a nursery & see if they can identify it. Or if there is a county extension office or a college with a horticulture program, you can take it there for identification.

• Ivylore

Thanks for the suggestion, Laura!