Christina H
Christina H
  • Manteno, IL
Asked on Apr 25, 2012

on the furniture i make can you cover up the knots with shellac? I know some people like the looks of the knots but

Cheryle FullerMillyMollyKMS Woodworks
+5

I don't my husband won't let me paint..he wants the varnish.
  • Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Christina , you won't really need shellac unless you want to paint, it just keeps the brown stain of knot holes from bleeding thru paint. I hope that answers your question.

• Christina H

So what your saying Peace is I've got to live with the knots .....GREAT!!!!!!

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Knot good news /-:

• KMS Woodworks

Sometimes knots can exude oil (sap) that will affect some oil based "varnish". This is normally more common with "cedar". What type of wood is this and what finish does your hubby want to use?

• Christina H

its just a standard wood from Mendards..it's usually wrapped in plastic..I really don't know what the name of its called

• KMS Woodworks

can you post a pic?

• MillyMolly

A professional once told me to use Bullseye shellac to cover knots in wood. Hope this helps.

• Cheryle Fuller

shelleac is mde form the shells of the lac bug. It is easily removed with alcohol. thinned it is used as a sealer for all woods, and particularly useful when refinishing oak and mahogany. it evens out the surface so you donlt see the pores of the wood. Many people do not know to do this, so their refinish projects look amatuer