NancyPJ
NancyPJ
  • El Cerrito, CA
Asked on Jun 8, 2013

Can anyone tell me what this herb is?

CynthiaLinda HincheyNancyPJ
+28

I impulse-purchased an "herb garden" last weekend (I have limited space, so seven herbs all in one place appeals), and I don't know what one of the plants is. I'd like to use it in the applications it is most intended (or if it is not really an herb, not try to make it one). It is the one on the left of this shot that has the long, narrow leaves. I know what the mint on the far right is :) Thank you!
can anyone tell me what this herb is, gardening
  • Sherry Vanderburg

Rosemary

• NancyPJ

Thanks, Sherry, but I actually mean the plant that is most prominent in the center there. There's purple basil in the foreground, and mint and rosemary behind, but that one in the middle is the one that I am stumped on.

• Eulalia

It looks a little like my Stevia. Break a leaf and taste to see if it sweet.

• Catherine Smith

Agree with Eulalia. That looks like Stevia

• Gail Salminen

It does look a lot like stevia - http://www.foodnavigator.com/Financial-Industry/Stevia-extracts-without-agriculture-Evolva-and-Cargill-join-forces-on-fermentation-derived-extracts but there are some lemon balms that have a similar leaf, but on closer examination the leaves are shorter.

• June

Stevia is a good bet/ It is very, very sweet tasting.

• Kay Love-Wood

If its the one to the far left it looks like rosemary ?????? its hidden by the bigger plants up front. Can't get a good look at it.

• Sandra R

my Stevia leaves are thinner. dry a leaf and then taste. if Stevia it will be very sweet.

• Caley's Culinaries

It is stevia. No doubt. This is my job. It doesn't have a scent but if you taste it you will know!

• Caley's Culinaries

FYI: That mint will take over the pot. You might want to give it it's own container.

• Caley's Culinaries

There is a little yellowing in your growing tips too. This problem is often caused by a pH problem. If it continues, you might want to put a pinch of baking soda on the soil.

• Caley's Culinaries

It is a beautiful container! Looks like you made a great purchase. You should be able to cook anything you want!

• Barbara

Don't think this is an herb. Possibly a stray weed or perennial.

• Lynn Santner

Stevia

• Linda Hinchey

I agree, I have a Stevia plant and it is identical. It should be very sweet to the taste. Btw, I have two different Stevia plants and they are slightly different, especially in leaf lengths and widths.

• Jill

Oh, and the mint prefers a lot more shade and cool!

• Luis

They are correct: STEVIA rebaudiana 'Sweet Herb of Paraguay'

• April E

that is stevia

• NancyPJ

Thank you to everyone who helped answered! It sure seems like I have stevia :) Now...wonder what one DOES with it. But I guess that is another thread. :) And thanks for the mint tips Jill and Caley! I guess I should try to extract it from the pot and give it its own place to grow that gets some shade.

• Meg

if not sweet, rub the leaf and smell it.

• Caley's Culinaries

Put a spring in tea and smash it with your spoon.

• Terry Marsters

Stevia it is have some in my garden, try it, its good

• Catherine Smith

You can use stevia as a substitute for sugar. I grow it for my niece who is a diabetic, since stevia provides a natural sugar, she can have sweet treats without a problem. I dry it and grind it into powder. And it measures just like sugar. It's great stuff.

• Karen M

If I might make a suggestion? crop the photo to show only the plant in question. I bet someone here will know immediately what it is!

• Meg

I suggest. Hort.ifas.fl.edu. It has a "plant identifier" website! Good luck!

• Debby Boyle

It is NOT rosemary!!

• April E

you can dry it and grind up the dried leaves to use as a natural calorie free sweetener test it in your drink ext and use to taste each plant can have a bit of difference in the amount of sweet it supplies

• Peg

Stevia! Use the leaves in salads, especially fruit salads or green salads where you add strawberries or other fruit. I make a red leaf lettuce, stevia, strawberries and sliced almonds, toss it up with a bit of olive oil and squeeze either fresh orange juice or other fruit juice on it. Yum!

• NancyPJ

Thanks for the suggestions, April and Peg! It is growing very nicely, so having usage ideas is great!

• Linda Hinchey

Stevia!!! I grow them from seeds. Try tasting a leaf.

• Cynthia

Stevia