Recycled Can Plant Holder

Here's a way to repurpose aluminium cans into an attractive plant holder to add a touch of greenery to any room in a home. I had some chain that was too large for the project at hand and I didn't know what to do with it. Then I came up with the idea of using aluminum coffee cans, of which I have plenty, to make a hanging plant holder.
I potted up the containers with Nephrolepis ferns, as these don't require a lot of light and only regular light watering.
YOU WILL NEED:
Aluminium cans
3 Lengths of chain
Screws and nuts [9]
Drill / Driver and 6mm HSS bit
Dremel MultiTool and cutting disk
Pliers
Key ring
Potting soil, pea gravel and plants
1. Drill 3 equidistant holes in each can - at the same height from the top.
2. Secure the end of each [3] chain using a screw and nut. Don't screw too tightly, as you want a little movement for the chain. Repeat this to add the remaining two cans at different heights.
DO make sure to keep the chain straight (not twisted) as you attach to the cans.
GOOD TO KNOW: If you need to cut the chain to length use a pair of pliers to hold the chain firmly and cut with a Dremel MultiTool and cutting disk.
3. The bottom of each can was sprayed with Rust-Oleum 2X in satin green apple. I did this after attaching the chains to prevent scratching the paint.
GOOD TO KNOW: A layer of 5cm thick gravel in the base of each can will help keep the plant roots dry, as there aren't any drainage holes in the base. This shouldn't be a problem as long as you only give a light watering as and when required.
4. The plants needed root growth to be trimmed here and there, but otherwise they squeezed nicely into the containers.
5. To hang the containers, I screwed a threaded hook into a fischer wall plug through the ceiling board. I was worried it might not be strong enough, but the fischer wall plug seems to be holding everything firmly.
Now you have no excuse for not adding a dash of greenery to a room. The hanger fills up a small corner and you can buy plants according to the light level in the room where they will be placed.

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Janice Anderssen

• Jennie Lee

Recycled can plant holder-- I don't drink coffee, so maybe I just didn't realize, but are there really things in aluminum cans? I wouldn't have thought so, except maybe Vienna sausages.

• Iulia bartfeld

If you are worried about rust,you can paint them with anti-rust paint.
      I think this paint is called Hammerite or something like that

• Debbie Harbour

Have you tried this, with different sized cans? Like a big one on bottom, med in middle & small on top.

• Debbie Harbour

Thanks Janice. I was thinking of different sized ferns, to fit each can.

• LyonStill

Aren't you concerned about rust?

• Janice Anderssen

I think it will take quite some time for rust. Ideally, you want to pot a plant that doesn't require lots of water - just occasional light watering. That way, rust should take a while. And since these are repurposed cans I can always recycle more since the project was so easy to do.