Kitchen Remodel With Gray Cabinets

My sister and her husband have been planning a kitchen remodel for some time because their old kitchen was tough to work in and ready for a facelift. Our entire family helped them remodel this space into their dream kitchen!
The refrigerator was in a terrible position so that it blocked the entry to the back door and the basement steps.
A chimney that ran through the kitchen was removed to make room for the refrigerator to be moved to the opposite side of the room.
Choosing a cabinet color was difficult, but in the end they chose a light gray cabinet which they ordered from Home Depot. We were very impressed with Home Depot's service and attention to detail.
Instead of a tiled backsplash, we painted it with Sherwin Williams Peppercorn. It gives great contrast to the countertop and cabinet color!
Countertops are laminate and the color is from Wilsonart and called Spring Carnival.
Their house doesn't have a dining room, but their kitchen is large enough for this eat in area. We planked the walls with strips of plywood and painted them with Benjamin Moore White Dove in a semigloss finish.
The light gray wall color throughout the kitchen is Benjamin Moore Gray Owl but only at 50%. The full color was too dark and we wanted to keep the kitchen very light.
The under cabinet lighting is from Home Depot and simply plugs into an outlet inside the cupboard. Wires run underneath of the cabinet to power the LED lights.
With a toddler and a dog, my sister and brother-in-law wanted to stay away from a tile floor since grout can be tricky to keep clean. They opted for this product from Pergo (sold at Home Depot) called Monson Slate. It is a vinyl snap together "tile" that is incredibly durable. It's softer and warmer on the feet than tile would be. My husband said it was very simple to install!
For more pictures, visit our blog or Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Kruses-Workshop-544083725671242/?fref=ts

Heidi

• Julie Wagner

Where did you get the gray and yellow rug from?
  • Loi21243069

Great reno ! But Why aren't the top cupboards painted underneath, in white or the grey colour ? One can see the brown wood colour when seated at a table or looking from a distance. I see this in a lot of kitchen posts on this site. FYI a white paint gives a better and brighter reflection to the countertops. It is a "usual" thing to do here.
    • Gail

Thanks I didn't think to do this in my kitchen but now I will!

• AlisonGrimes

Your article title suggests how you heightened your upper cabinets, but there was no information on it. I see that the bulkhead wass remed, but is that now just 'open space' that is covered up by longer cabinet doors? Thanks - really love the colors that were chosen. I wish my kitchen was even close to being that big.

• Marion Nesbitt

Wow - lots of work. Looks terrific. (Tore out a pantry in one of my renos though as find they take up valuable counter space and close in the room.)

• Dar15069594

The entire design is beautiful, but what I appreciate the most are the cabinets reaching all the way to the ceiling. Mine were (custom) made that way 45 years ago. I could never understand wasting all that potential storage space when shorter cabinets or soffits are installed.