Sharon
Sharon
  • Eau Claire, WI
Asked on Jun 8, 2013

I love a tea cup and saucer, can i plant a vine or a flower in the cup

SharonLyman Kitchen and Bathroom RemodelingDiane Gryka
+5

I glue the cup to the saucer and then glue a rod to it so that i can stick it in the ground and was wondering if i could plant something in the cup. would i have to put some little rocks in the cup because there is no drain?
  • Robyn

Yes Sharon you definitely can. Is there room for rocks? You could also put in a few marbles, anything small. If this cup and saucer cannot be drilled for drainage I would plant it with something that likes to be kept moist, or something that you don't have to water much, like a succulent.

• Julie S

My mother in law was always planting house plants in tea cups and mugs. You need a smaller flower or plant, and yes, a few rocks in the bottom would give excess water a place to go. Try it!

• Sharon

Thanks girls, good to know. A succulent sounds perfect!

• Barbara Thomas

Yes, if the cup isn't too small. Little rocks or just one rock at the bottom is fine. Depending on how much potting soil the cup will hold, you can plant a flower or vine. Succulents might be good.

• Sharon

Thanks Barbara!

• Diane Gryka

packing peanuts are also good for drainage and for bigger pots they are lighter

• then sell drill bits for glass at Home Depot. I bet they would work great to drill some small holes. They work great on tile might be worth a try

• Sharon

Thanks Diane and Lyman!