Jessica C
Jessica C
  • Stoughton, WI
Asked on Jun 8, 2013

What's the Difference Between Cottage and Country Decorating?

Cindy NelsonLizzy BeanPatricia W
+9

Just wondering, what's the difference between cottage and country? These are pictures of my mother's house, what do you think?
This is her house, it's one of the oldest in our state. It looks cottage on the outside.
She's been an antique dealer for 35 years. These things represent a lifetime of collecting.
I made these pillows for her out of burlap rice bags. You can read the tutorial on my blog post.
That's my grandfather's clock in the background. To me this photo looks country. What do you think?
I love these dainty little chairs.
I love these dainty little chairs.
A little Americana always looks appropriate in any decor.
Cottage or country? I think this photo looks country.
These pieces were in my grandmother's transfer ware collection. We are a family of antique nuts. Including me.
Mom is very partial to fine art. I love this display.
Grandma's rocker. It's so tiny, I don't think anyone would be able to fit in it.
The woman in the pastel drawing is my grandmother.
Country? or Cottage?
Country? or Cottage?
  • Becky (J) P

to me, cottage is more blues/whites.....or beachy feeling. I would say yours is more country. My main style is country.

• Elaine Simmons

I would definitely say country too if you have to put a name on it. So many people are eclectic these days that it really doesn't matter that much what you call it as long as you enjoy it.

• Reinventing Space

Country! Also, show the room, not a vignette. The style of the room, built-ins and amenities will help determine too.

• I'm with everyone else and say country - cottage has more "natural" elements to it - especially if it's beachy cottage.

• what you are showing us is called country cottage style decorating. It is cottage style but your theme here in these photos is a country flair. The other form of cottage style decorating would be a theme related to the beach. We love how you made the pillows from the burlap rice bags!

• Jeanette S

Honestly, I think you can say it is a good mix of both. Cottage has the rocking chairs, quilts, etc., while the true country is a bit more rustic. Sometimes country puts in things rusty and old and your Mother's place is too polished to be true country. Just my thoughts. It is lovely whatever style you call it!

• Debbie Gates

I have that same burlap rice bag. I actually bought the rice, just for the bag and was wondering what I would do with it. Now I know. Thank you for sharing, love the pictures.

• Sharon's Interior Images

There is definitely a country theme in this home - rustic & Americana. Cottage is more white wainscoting, moulding & trim work with lighter soft color tones on walls & in fabrics. It's great taking memorabilia and creating vignettes of collections in a fun way when you have that country vibe.

• CindyandGeorge Schaeffer

I would call this beautiful collection more country home. I think of cottage style as more "fru-fru" (my own word) but usually cram packed with lace, ruffles, loads of pillows and throws. It always looks like every surface is covered with some find or treasure and can sometimes be overdone. The country look is meaningful, simple and full of unique antique pieces. Just my thoughts...

• Patricia W

Country homes should be full of wood and natural elements. It reflects country life. Hard working folk with deep appreciation of the land, the way is was meant to be used. Simple statements are shown in the photos. Quilt patterns, natural wood, and heritage. I love it!

• Lizzy Bean

I would decorate farmhouse style....your mom's home currently looks country to me.

• Cindy Nelson

My take is that your interior décor is more "colonial" than cottage or country. Very nicely done.