Super Easy Rooting of Roses From Cuttings

$10

I have tried several methods of rooting rose cuttings. Some were complete fails, like using potatoes and others were much more successful and easier for me. I am sharing one of the easiest I have tried yet.
Take your cuttings from healthy canes, some prefer to cut at a y but I have found it isn't necessarily faster in my trials. Cutting below a leaf bud is sufficient.
here is a photo of the heal wood or at a Y that some claim is better for rooting. Like I mentioned, I have not found this to be any better than just cutting below a leaf bud but I thought to give you the option.
I do use a rooting medium, I have used several types. I list them here in my post...http://www.flowerpatchfarmhouse.com/rooting-roses-from-cuttings-or-slips/
I use a mix of perlite and potting soil or compost for a well draining rooting medium and put it into a clean, sterile plastic cup. Holes have been cut in the bottom for plenty of drainage.
I have also used milk jugs as mine greenhouses which works great too if you have quite a few cuttings. They are just bulkier. With this plastic cup method the cuttings sit on my window sill easily, using an old plastic lid as a water catching tray underneath or a clean sour cream tub. (don't let the cups sit in water)
The plastic dome lids keep in the moisture and the hole in the top lets air in and it gives you a place to add water without lifting the lid.
It is very easy to keep these too wet. Don't! The lid on tip should keep plenty of moisture in the potting medium so be very stingy with adding more water.
Before you know it you have lots of tiny roots. This can take from 3 to 6 months depending on the season. I leave mine in these containers until I see lots of healthy roots.
For more on rooting roses see my Post here: Easy Rooting Roses from Cuttings
Another method I love using is the terra cotta pots with a large mayo jar (this one is plastic so it is lighter than glass). The benefit of the terra cotta is it lets the roots breathe. (note: please only take cuttings from non-patented plants, otherwise we are infringing on the patent and the breeders rights)
In this video I am sharing exactly how I pot up the rose cuttings in a recycled cup. Enjoy!

• Pruners  (Amazon)
  • Potting Soil  (Amazon)
  • Cups  (Recycled)

Flower Patch Farmhouse

• Sarge

Funny that I am seeing this a year after its original post date but it is right on time for me. I had a contractor break a few branches of my rose bush and I was thinking "ugh, how can I save these branches?" Perfect!!
  • Kathy Wilkinson

I’ve ordered rose seed can u start them out the same way?

• Flower Patch Farmhouse

I would assume so. Be aware that roses from seeds can take 10 years to bloom and the seeds won't necessarily come true to the parent rose.

• Felma

What is that small glass white that you applied. What does it called and used for? Thanks just curious.

• Marcia Strode

Thank you, your post is VERY timely I was just noticing a friend/neighbors gorgeous tangerine colored rose & was hoping she'd give me a cutting.

• Patricia

I will try this with my yellow rose bush that i love