Bernice H
Bernice H
  • Woodburn, OR
Asked on Apr 26, 2012

Monster thunderstorm yesterday

Bernice HDouglas HuntSherrie S
+5

We here in little old Yakima had a monster thunderstorm yesterday afternoon.Nothing like Texas or other places, but for us it was huge. You almost couldn't see where you were driving. It was very brief,but awesome and impressive. Like the days of Noah, maybe.
My cat was so scared she started yowling real loud and then ran under the desk where I was, and hunkered down. I forgot the bedroom wIndow was open, wow! At least all those new plants I bought yesterday sitting in their pots in the garden , waiting, got watered. And beaten down a little.I turned off all elecronics just in case. Makes you appreciate the POWER of natural forces when you see something like this. At least there was no hail like in Texas.
I was going to post pics of my beautiful crabapple tree which just started blooming, but half the petals are on the ground now!
  • Sherrie S

Bernice H, I'm glad you're all OK. Most of us would love rain because it has been so dry. Last week we had nickel size hail for about 5 minutes & that was a surprise. At least we got some water.

• Bernice H

Thanks Sherrie, CAT seems to not even have a memory of why she was so scared. Until the next thunder and lightning storm,( tho usually they are not as earthshaking as this was).How cool is "living in the moment", as Cesar Millan says. It is very dry here too. so the rain is welcome. Our court has just now turned the irrigation water on, so monster rain was very welcome. But scary. I thought our skylights were going to show damage..However our siding got cleaned off from winters' dust, so that is good. Windows too. And it rained again during the night. But I miss the beauty of my crabapple blossoms! I waited longingly for them and now....sigh.

• Bernice H

PS did yousee the video clips of Texas, hailstones the size of tennis balls?

• Sherrie S

Bernice, nickel size hail was surprising. Tennisball size would scare me and even my dogs might respond. We all forget when it stops.

I'm sorry your crabapple took a beating, Bernice, but happy you got some rain. We could sure use some more in Florida.

• Bernice H

Thanks Doug...it looks so unhappy, and I waited so long to see it in full bloom. Last year we were gone when it bloomed.

• Bernice H

I am going to attempt to post a picture of my crabapple tree, just as it was beginning to bloom.The pink against my neighbors blue home is striking, I just wish it could have made it all the way, but weather does what it does.

, Crabapple tree April 2012 just before monster thunderstorm Not quite totally bloomed sad face here sure doesnt look like this now But I appreciate the rain don t get me wrong I am going to post my little garden help me pictures on a new post so all can see what we finally did
  • Bernice H

Oops, something got lost on here. Was just going to say I am going to post "my little garden-help" on a new thread so you all can see what we finally decided to do.