Alison C
Alison C
  • Fort Myers, FL

Kitchen

Any Ideas on how to make the fireplace appear smaller or blend in as a nice focal point?
We just bought an older home and are working on a tight budget. The kitchens fireplace is the first thing you notice upon entering the room. We have toned down the dark red & cleaned up the fireplace by removing the old doors & mirror.
The fireplace sits right at the kitchen and is large. I have started to tile but stopped, concerned that it may clash with the floor if brought to the bottom.

any Ideas on how to make the fireplace appear smaller or blend in as a nice focal point? or just in general for the room?
Before (red paint felt very congesting-making the home feel older and dirty)
After (we live in Florida, so I chose a happy color to help brighten the room & tiled the top portion of the fireplace) ..we have plans to continue renovating, but our immediate concern is the large "hole" in the room :)

• Bananas!

How about enclosing the tops of your cabinets? not expensive and will give the kitchen a more built in/custom look? Also, just get rid of the hearth box, unless you plan to use it, you'll be tripping over it! I was considering putting one in, but now I see this, I'm not going there! THANKS

• Lindalovie55

choose a wine rack for the space in fireplace. fill with favourite bottles