Asked on Apr 26, 2012

After having a lot of rain with blowing wind, I found water on my smooth top stove. According to the roofer the water

Nichter's Home Services CorpSanDouglas K


came in through the vent on the roof. I'm now thinking I should cap off the vent since I don't need it. Is this possible? If so, what do I need and will it cause a problem with the roof which is flat?
10 answers
  • i wonder if you have the right kind of rain cap up there. Also, a taller gooseneck type can get this positioned differently. I cannot be sure without photos of the situation on the roof. Why do you think you do not need this? yes doable. Many of these exhaust fans have a recirculation option

  • San
    on Apr 27, 2012

    because I'm installing a ventliess micro and I haven't used/needed the vent for years. Cooking is not my thing

  • Debi M
    on Apr 27, 2012

    I wouldn't cap it off. There are caps for vents kind of shaped like an upside down V that will allow the vent to bring in air and keep the rain out.

  • You can go ahead and have the roofer eliminate this then

  • KMS Woodworks
    on Apr 27, 2012

    I'd cap it with a U bend, and have the roofer check the pipes flashing and or "boot". The water may have flowed down the outside of the pipe too.

  • Douglas K
    on Apr 27, 2012

    "IF" that vent is only used for the range, and is not used anymore, you can disable that vent with no problems. But, I would disable the switch for the vent so nobody "tries" to use it.

  • San
    on Apr 27, 2012

    Thank y'all so much.

  • One thing to keep in mind as this happens. A "roofer" shuld be able to take the top off and seal the roof surface properly, But he may not know about the rest of what is involved. If you leave the duct from the range hood into the attic space, that will allow moist air from the living space to migrate into the attic where it may condense and drip back down to appear as a leak, or it may just sit in the attic insulation and cause mold growth. So when you replace the range hood with an interior recirculating unvented one, you sould insulate that space and seal off the duct from th e interior as well

  • San
    on Apr 28, 2012

    Thank you for that. I was just wondering about that myself since my home was built in 1965, has little to no insulation. What I was thinking of doing is taking out the entire venting system (cabinet to roof) and either blowing in insulation or closing it up by placing a piece of wood in the top of the cabinet to cover the hole.

Your comment...