Mike C
Mike C
  • Villa Rica, GA
Asked on Jun 9, 2013

Mums / hydranga's

Caley's CulinariesDouglas HuntMike C
+1

my wife has a couple of hydrangas that are coming in inthe purple color, she likes the white color better. Is there a way to change the color that the flowers come out as? and second question is our mums are growing out of contro, should I prune them now to keep them lower and will that be a problem for the blooms in the fall?

Mike, you cannot change a hydrangea that has natural coloration to white. If your wife likes white ones, plant her an oakleaf or a paniculata. You should definitely pinch back your mums for bushier plants. You can do so though mid-July without affecting fall flowering.

• Mike C

douglas, what do yoou mean by pinch back the mums? Is that just when the bulbs start to form or are you speaking of the stems that are so long?

Mike, I mean the stems that are so long. It's better to do it before they get real long, then repeat the process, but it will help even now.

• Caley's Culinaries

Buy her some white flowering hydrangeas for a surprise. She will be thrilled! The blue can only be changed to pink and pink to blue.