Tony
Tony
  • Fairfield, CT
Asked on Jun 9, 2013

To late for tomatoes?

JaymeDebbie GatesJeanette S
+3

My garden is off to a late start this year because of the cold spring and other minor disasters inside my house. I'm wondering if it's to late (June 9th) to plant tomatoes or should I just wait 'till next year? I am located in southwest CT.

I think you should give it a shot, Tony. Cherry tomatoes have a shorter time to harvest, so you could try those, and if Mother Nature is benevolent you may well get full-sized ones, too.

• I'm in zone 5 in Mi. and I'm planting a few more today -- adding to ones I planted 4 weeks ago !

• Donna W

We are in northern MN and have planted tomatoes the middle of June. Check with a greenhouse and there are early varieties.

• Jeanette S

If you have a basement, you can plant in large buckets and bring them in when it starts to get chilly. My mother-in-law actually had fresh homegrown tomatoes on the Christmas dinner table and they got freezing weather!

• Debbie Gates

You have time. You may not get bushels and bushels of tomatoes, but you'll still get plenty. Once you get them in the ground they will take off. My tomato plants are only a couple of inches tall, but I'll plant them at the end of June and they will do fine. Same with my peppers, we've had a crazy spring too, 90s on week and down to the low 30s the next.

• Jayme

I am here in Michigan and over the weekend I planted 9 tomato plants and still have 17 more this week.