DIY Sun Loungers Out of Old Goose Hunting Chairs!

$50

Our old barn became a relative's dumping ground for many years (decades ago) so I inherited some very strange leftovers. Especially old hunting gear and what-not. And, you know me, I'm trying to find projects and usability every where I can! These chairs my dad proclaimed to be old goose hunting chairs that once came with a blind over top of them. I nodded thinking, Well, that's cool but now they're mine! Mahahahahaha! I don't know about you but my idea of the perfect thing would be a place in the sun after work for a couple of hours, good company (or just myself would be fine too...) and a bottle of wine. I had been working on sun loungers in my head for months when I had stumbled upon these old goose hunting chairs and immediately, I got excited! I pulled them out of the barn Saturday morning and I got to work.

(Okay this project turned into seven hours of time wasting hell because I can be a real stubborn idiot at times. I'm not going to put all that here on Hometalk because it is a LONG story, but if you guys would like to find out all the details of my long horrible day with these chairs you can check it out on my blog :)

They were GROSS!!! Literally they were totally covered in the excrement of what seemed like hundreds of different kinds of birds and critters. EEEEWWWWW

First thing I did was cut off the nasty camouflaged fabric and then I used my garden hose and steel wool to scrub the frames as best I could. They were in surprisingly good shape, there was only one that had some rust where the paint was flaking off. I put them on a tarp in my garage and got to work spray painting the frames. One thing I was really stoked about was how BIG they were and how sturdy and heavy as well. These frames are not delicate by any means - they're designed to support big guys in full hunting gear during really cold and wet weather - so they're very tough.

I spent $25 at walmart on four cans of rustoleum spray paint in the happiest colors I could find and three outdoor table cloths. After cutting the fabric so that it was big enough to DOUBLE it for strength I grabbed my bag of baling twine and wrapped it around the back and the seats lots of times and created a support structure to be hidden under the fabric.

From there, I just wrapped the fabric over it to hide the twine and tied it in the back.

I tried and failed to add grommets for the back, so in the end, I cut holes down either side for the twine to thread through and then laced up the back like a corset :). Sewing would probably last longer and be stronger, if you have the time and skill to do it.

If you can't find me this summer you know where I'll be!

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
GrandmasHouseDIY

• Lindi

Seeing as you’re still replying to your post some 4 years later.......how did they hold up re sagging with weight, holes ripping with weight, hot or sweaty seating etc ?

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Everything held up fine but unfortunately I left them out in the sun for one too many summers without considering how bad the fabric would sun bleach. So the table cloths are now basically all white lol but no holes!

• Irma McKinney

Were your boots on the wrong feet? LOL. J/K, it kind of looks like they are.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

lol they were off of my feet when I took the picture. I took them off and left them outside to drying when I took the pic. I didn't want to track in spray paint into the house :)

• Kathy

How did you get fabric wrapped on bars to hold