Sue Bowles Boggs
Sue Bowles Boggs
  • Lamont, OK
Asked on Jun 9, 2013

How do you remove mildew stain from cloth?

GrannybaerTabbyWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+4

I have a pillowcase that hasn't been used in awhile and when I took it out of the drawer, (it must not have been completely dry from washing), there were spots where there was mildew. I have washed it, used "Shout", but still there is a stain left from the mildew. It is 60% cotton & 40% polyester.
  • Kayren Johnson

If it is white, you can wash it in strong bleach water & it may work, but if you dryed it in the dryer after you washed it, it is prolly there to stay. You may try dyeing it a different color??

• Patti Nicholas

Be careful with bleach, as it will yellow cotton and put holes in some other types of fabric. I would try soaking it in lemon juice (the real stuff) and then hang in the sun, it may take several tries, but this should lighten the stain considerably.

• Sue Bowles Boggs

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Mary Insana

I was going to suggest the lemon and sunshine too.

• Take the pillow case to the cleaners. let them clean it for you. If they cannot do it, I doubt you would have any luck at home. You could also try Oxy bleach. But you need to be careful to much bleaching will weaken the threads in the fabric. Also be sure to not set the stain by heating the pillow case in the dryer.

• Tabby

Lemon juice and sun will work, always does for me. Cheap & easy. Sometimes rubbing alcohol will work but test an inconspicuous spot first. Mildew is a form of mold.

• Grannybaer

peroxide will take mildew out of fabric. Soak for a while then wash