Sunush
Sunush
  • Mesa, AZ
Asked on Jun 9, 2013

Advice on what to do with the pond

Rocky Mountain WaterScapeSunushGail Salminen
+16

I bought this pond liner at a sale and dug a deep hole and placed it. We even did the electrical connection and the pond functioned for a while as a water fountain. We had to eventually drain the water and close the pond as lizards and such were falling into it. I am out of ideas as to how to revive this pond. Please give suggestions for doing something with this little pond.
q advice on what to do with the pond, outdoor living, ponds water features

Do you still want it to be a pond or do you want it to be something else?

• Sunush

I like to have it as some water feature but don't know how to keep the bugs or lizards away. Do you suggestions for how to keep the water clean or do you have ideas what else to do with it?

• Su

you can get some grating that won't rust and put on the top of it so that no critters can fall in....but the water can still flow through and circulate

• Debbie Gates

If you still want it to be a water feature, add some stones and logs that reach up over the side of the pond, like a more natural setting. This way if lizards, which can swim, and other critters will have a means of escape if they fall into your pond. Using a "raised bed" method, you could grow some plants around your pond to make is softer looking, which would also help make the stones and log look more natural also. Or you could just use pots and set them around the pond too.

• Sara

One idea might be is to fill it with stone almost like a "dry creek bed" effect. You can use larger rocks and have the water run over it like in a little waterfall someway. We did this with a very small fountain by our front door and I love the sound of water hitting the rocks.

• Mikell Paulson

Ultra violet light will keep the water clear! Are you going to put fish in the pond? If not just add bleach tablets like people use in swimming pools. They last about a month and also keep mosquitoes out or it will kill them.

• Chris' Water Gardens

If you do not want a pond but still want a water feature, a great option is to install AquaBlox in the "pond" and cover with a water feature. This will raise the feature so nothing falls in, but still allows the lizards, birds and other critters to get a drink. Also, we use Aquascape water treatments to keep the water clean and clear all year long. Check out this Aquascape website for more information, ideas, and find local Certified Aquascape Contractors in your area. www.AquascapeInc.com

• Cindy Guenther

I would place some sort of fountain and place a metal grate then put the rocks and branches, like a dry bed pond, you still will have the water.

• Carol G

I always put a few cap-fulls of Clorox in mine and it keeps it clean. It is cheaper.

• Sunush

Will it not cause harm to the critters that drink the water?

• Teri

I have a fountain that sits out in the sun at all times. The water turns that yucky green after awhile from the sun. The birds and cats drink from it all the time and I didn't want to put anything in it that would harm the animals. Sooooo! I now put a handfull of rock salt in and it stays clean allot longer and the rock salt doesn't harm the animals. A man that puts ponds in told me that little trick.

• Aquascape by Blue Creek

Call these guys! They are a stellar pond design/install concern! The Pond Gnome 22767 N. 104th Ln. Peoria, AZ 85383 E-Mail phone: 623.572.5607 fax: 623.572.0483 Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8a.m. – 5p.m.

• Sunush

Ok I will. Thanks

• The Pond Pad

I agree with the Aquascape suggestions. A bubbling fountain feature is easy to maintain with hydrogen peroxide based products and beneficial bacteria that will eat the dead debris. Bleach is not only harmful to the environment, but is very hard on the equipment, liner and pump.

• Gail Salminen

@F. barwick there are many posts on here for pondless water features on here. @Rocky Mountain WaterScape might be able to advice you.

• Sunush

Thanks all. I think I am going to add pond plants and a pump to circulate the water. My local nursery seems to carry all necessary supplies. I will add plants that cost least and go up from there once they survive.

• Rocky Mountain WaterScape

Thanks Gail, I would think that a pondless water feature would be the very best solution. you will still have the beauty of a waterfall, the delightful sounds, but not a pool/pond that critters could drown in. Go to the Aquascape website and put in you zip code under find a CAC (Certified Aquascape Contractor) in the Mesa/Phoenix area and you will have someone qualified who can help with this. Plants always soften the rocks and area around a pond. But I would definitely try to get a CAC input.

• Sunush

I couldn't figure what is meant by pondless water feature. I read building moxie's questions and comments on http://www.hometalk.com/rockymountainwaterscape#1129367/ok-hometalkers-what-would-you-do-with-this-hole-if-it-were-in-your-yard?&_suid=1371134150488023530963624281415. Hope to find some answers. Also would like to get some tips on keeping the mosquitos away which were part of the problem we decided to close the pond.

• Rocky Mountain WaterScape

Usha, check out our portfolio of pondless water falls. You will see they are stunning from very small to very large, may be the perfect answer for your dilemma. http://www.rmwaterscape.com/rmw/Portfolio/Pages/Pondless_Waterfalls.html