Douglas Hunt
Douglas Hunt
  • New Smyrna Beach, FL

Invasive plant horror stories

Hometalk member and gardener extraordinaire Barb Rosen recently wrote of her nightmare experience with chameleon plant, Houttuynia cordata, and what may be her life-long project of getting rid of it. But Barb surely isn't alone in having planted something she regretted. For me, my biggest mistake was planting gooseneck loosestrife, Lysimachia clethroides. I'd heard how "rambunctious" the plant could be, but
It looks harmless enough! (Photo via Bluestone Perennials.)

• 8184301

How can I get rid of goat head sticker weeds? They keep coming back every year, get stuck to the bottom of our shoes and drug inside!

• Sparkles

mow, mow, mow. keep lawn shorter during seeding time. this makes it harder for them to make the goat heads.

• Justine

Does anyone know how to get rid of trumpet vine? It is the absolute worst plant! I’ve been trying to kill it for three years now. It actually gets into the foundation and water pipes! I’ve even tried thrush from Lowe’s ! Help!

• Sandy

Does anyone know how to get rid of creeping Charlie. It’s invading my entire lawn. I know it’s a weed, not a flower but looking for any help. We’ve tried all the weed killers normally used for lawn. Can’t kill it.

• Ann

Right now, my worst is crossvine! I found a runner that had snuck under the mulch and was 12 feet long! The eradication begins now as I can’t keep up with all the runners. I got rid of Lily of the valley by digging it out. Three years later, I see a piece now and then and pull the offender before it can spread! Thank goodness I had read about the loosestrife and declined the offer of some free starts.

• Barb Rosen

I have tried everything except dynamite to get rid of this stuff. Someone told me the only way to kill it is with Roundup. But I am going to try multiple rounds of straight vinegar sprayed on it. That does seem to set it back.