Charlynn B
Charlynn B
  • Orlando, FL
Asked on Apr 27, 2012

Where can you purchase Lakeview Jasmine plants in Fl?

Jason KnappSandy PDouglas Hunt
+2

Charlynn, I doubt that you can. It is a host plant for an insect known as the citrus psyllid, which carries the bacterium that causes a disease known as citrus greening, a very serious problem in our state. Because of this Lakeview jasmine, which is actually in the citrus family, cannot be sold unless it is grown in a quarantined shelter, which is prohibitive for most growers. I've only seen one plant in a nursery in the last two years.

• Walter Reeves

Great post Douglas...I never would have known!

It's a pity because it is otherwise such a great plant.

• Sandy P

I see that these posts are from a couple years ago. We bought a Lakeview Jasmine in 2006 in a small greenhouse type of store in southern Wisconsin. Of course we had to keep it inside during the winter but no complaints because when it bloomed there was nothing like that smell to come home to. We moved to Arizona in 2012 and by that time the plant was at least 6 ft tall and 4 ft wide. We liked it because it was not viney, just a tree type plant. We didn't have the means to move it and now I wish we would have tired harder especially if you are saying we can't get it anywhere. Any suggestions to a similar type fragrant plant that isn't viney?

• Jason Knapp

I was walking past a neighbor's yard and picked up its scent. Didn't know what is was so I went to the bush, broke off a sample and took to a local nursery which identified it. The way they described the issue was that it was thought to be a culprit of the citrus tree canker disease in Florida and product was no longer available. But I guess sometime recently it was determined not to be a cause.

Many places are still not carrying it and even if you can find it, it has to be quarantined. But that's only because the information about its non-involvement has been slow to get out, particularity in an automated sense. I would imagine once the industry catches up you'll be able to find it in more places.