Faux Stained Glass With Unicorn SPiT and Old Picture Frame

Picked up a picture frame with glass at Goodwill for $2.50. I drew the pattern on by free hand with a Sharpie but you could easily trace a pattern from online.
Pattern on glass with a Sharpie.
Locate an old picture or frame where you can take the backing and glass out. I picked mine up for $2.50 at Goodwill.
Applying the Gallery Glass background.
I used Americana 3D glass writer to trace over my Sharpie lines. Let that dry for a day. I then applied Gallery Glass in a swirl pattern for a watery background look. Let dry another day and it will be completely clear and awesome!
Painted with Unicorn SPit and mixed colors.
Used my Unicorn SPIT to paint my scene. This stuff is AMAZING with many uses! Let my Spit dry overnight.
Look it's dry! :)
Next I used a spray high gloss polyurethane sealer over the entire side of the glass that I painted. Again, let dry overnight.
Oh so pretty!
I used a clear epoxy, EP6000 which can be purchased everywhere. A little goes a long way. I dabbed it with a q-tip onto the inside of the frame where the glass lays. Need to work quick here as this dries fairy fast. Then easily lay your glass piece into the frame putting the side you painted on to the viewable side. (This will be hanging on your wall).
And finished product!
Hang it on your wall and enjoy!!

• Unicorn Spit, glass picture frame, Gallery Glass, Americana gloss black 3D paint, high gloss polyure  (Michaels, Goodwill, www.unicornspit.com.)

• Sandy Howard

What is Unicorn Spit? Never heard of it before.
  • Vivian

Is the polyurethane sealer a spray or do you use a brush to apply? Do you recommend a particular brand? Would an acrylic sealer work, or a Martha Stewart product I saw for glassware and jewelry for high gloss finish?
  • Vivian

Is Unicorn Spit the only type of paint/stain to use? Are acrylics too opaque? Would alcohol based paints work for this type of project?

• Carol Cole

I Love it , beautiful job.
  • Judi McClelland

I did a few of these several years ago, they look great done on a mirror, or you can fake it by scrunching tin foil, then flatten out again & place behind the glass to reflect light, looks fab! Photo of my dragonfly attached.