Update Vinyl/Pleather Without Special Products

7.8K Views
Vinyl, faux leather/pleather or even leather can be updated fairly simply without a bunch of expensive specialty products. This little stool/ottoman needed an update. It turned out so cute.
  • update vinyl pleather without special products, how to, painted furniture
I cleaned well and wiped down with denatured alcohol to remove any residue.
I sanded the entire stool with 150 keeping with the shape of the piece.
I used General Finishes Chalk Style Paint in black pepper. Using two good coats of paint and sanding in between with 400 wet/dry sand paper.
The stencil on top is Modern Master's gold and the entire stool is sealed with several coats of General Finishes High Performance Top Coat in satin. I sanded between each coat and then finished the last coat with a hand polished coat of Satin Wax.
I have a three year old who was more than happy to test out the durability of the finish. He jumped, bounced and pushed this little ottoman all over for a few days. It's perfect, no cracks, no peeling, no chipping and still going strong.
I've done several other pieces of furniture made of similar materials with these steps and never had any issues.

Suggested materials for this project:

• General Finishes Chalk Style Paint  (General Finishes)
  • Modern Master's Gold  (Amazon)
Jen Burns