Kay
Kay
  • Pontiac, IL
Asked on Jun 10, 2013

Peonies

Douglas HuntKayRhee Jones
+5

Do I cut them back after they bloom?
  • Sara

You can cut them back after they bloom or cut them back when the foliage starts to brown.

• Kay

Thanks for ur help Sara!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Are you asking if you should cut the bloom or the leaves?

• Kay

After they finish blooming do I cut the rest down? Leaves, stem, etc.

Kay, you should only remove the spent flowers. You need to leave the foliage to nourish the plant for next season. Don't cut it back until it starts to yellow in the fall.

• Rhee Jones

My Morher always had peonies in her yard and before we sold the house, my sister and I dug them up. Hers bloomed a year later and are beautiful! Mine? Not blooming and brown spots on leaves. One of my plants have been planted 5 yrs, Mom gave me one when we moved into our home. Mom always said it took 3yrs to bloom. HELP. I don't want to lose these precious plants.

• Kay

Thanks Doug!

Rhee, you'll get more answers if you post your question as a new question using the red "post & ask" button at the top of the page, but my first question would be where do you mother and sister live in comparison with you. If you're substantially south of them, that could be part of the issue. The other is planting depth. Peonies must be planted shallow, with their "eyes" just under the soil. But they do in general resent being moved and it can take some time for them to acclimate in a new home.