Karen J
Karen J
  • Rineyville, KY
Asked on Apr 28, 2012

I have 4 yr. old Holly bushes w/leaves that are turning brown on the top? What could be causing this?

Trish ButlerJanet PizaroDouglas Hunt
+5

We let them grown to their full height before trimming and after waiting all this time, I afraid we may have to pull them up! :( The ones planted in the backyard have never been trimmed and they're turning brown also.

Could you post a photo, Karen? What do you mean when you say you let them grow to their full height before trimming? How much did you prune them?

• Karen J

Yes, I will post a pic tomorrow. Per the planting instructions, they suggested we let them grow to the desired height before trimming. Up til now, they've been growing beautifully and are now about 4 feet high; this is only our second time trimming them since last summer. The brown portion looks like they've been scorched.

The photo will help. Are they in sun or shade?

• Karen J

In the morning, the once located in the front of the house are in full sun; midday the ones located on the right side and backyard are in full sun.

q i have 4 yr old holly bushes w leaves that are turning brown on the top what could, gardening, Holly bushesq i have 4 yr old holly bushes w leaves that are turning brown on the top what could, gardening, holly bushesq i have 4 yr old holly bushes w leaves that are turning brown on the top what could, gardening, holly bushesq i have 4 yr old holly bushes w leaves that are turning brown on the top what could, gardening, holly bushesq i have 4 yr old holly bushes w leaves that are turning brown on the top what could, gardening, closeup of leaves
  • See More

I think your hollies have some winter damage, which would explain the bleaching of the leaves before they turn brown. They're particularly sensitive to this in the exposed locations you have. You can trim the brown portions and the rest of the plants should not be affected. For preventive measures, check out this link from Perdue University's Extension Service: http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/weeklypics/6-2-08.html

• Trish Butler

My Holly bushes have sharp points on them. These don't. I had to cut my bushes way back this year because of the drought in Ca.

Always watch the time of year you prune. At what time of year did you notice browning?

• Trish Butler

I cut it way back in March and it is green and healthy with so many new sprouts on it. It has grown a quarter of it's size back. This is a bush (tree) that was ignored for so many years and we bought the property in Oct. of last year. I see many years of joy from this Holly Bush.

• Your comment...