Cheryl
Cheryl
  • Peachtree City, GA
Asked on Jun 10, 2013

Can Anyone Identify This Tree/shrub

EL HoardTracey TScott
+65

This tree (or maybe it's a shrub) grows freely in the Atlanta, Georgia area and I would like to know what it is. Anyone have an idea?
q can anyone identify this tree shrub, gardening
  • Barbara Passaro

It looks like an mimosa tree

• Maureen Pelt

I agree with Barbara, it is a mimosa tree.

• Genna Scartaccini

Mimosa Tree

• Nancy Hand

Its a Mimosa Tree. The hummingbirds love these trees. They are very invasive thought. They re-seed everywhere. :)

• Cheryl

Thanks everyone, I love the flowers but really don't want to put an invasive species in my landscape.

• Nancy Hand

Cheryl, I love the flowers bc I love plants that attract hummingbirds. With that said I would not plant one of these in my yard. Daves has a good web site...... http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/254/#b

• Alice G

Definitely a Mimosa I had a beautiful one in my yard up north I miss it here in Florida

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

It is a Mimosa Tree. It is really difficult to transplant one but they freely seed.

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

Yup...mimosa!

• Patricia W

The " Silk Tree" or mimosa is a favorite here in Oregon! They were the last trees to produce "leafs" in our nursery so some folks did not like them. But, they were also the last to drop their leaves! Ive seen them all over Eugene, some as tall as a two story house. Ive never ever seen shoots growing near them in the time we had them in our nursery.

• Virginia M

mimosa (silk tree)

• Cynthia Goodnight

it's a mimosa! I love those!!! they make great tree-climbing trees for kids too!

• Chris Hensley

It's common name is Mimosa - there are other plants with the same common name. The botanical name is Albizia julibrissin. Google that and you'll find lots of good info!

• Linda Goff

I have a Mimosa Tree in my back yard and it has gotten pretty big; I love their Blooms!

• Judy Foshee

Mimosa tree.

• Paula M

Definetly Mimosa,very invasive.Root system will crack a foundation,driveway,etc.

• Alyce W

for sure a mimosa tree...one of the most invasive plants around..be careful where you put it...you'll have them EVRYWHERE

• P

A mimosa tree. Beautiful, but the roots can destroy sewer systems, foundations etc.

• Ann Burton

They grow like weeds here in North Carolina!

• Rachel

Mimosa for sure!

• Peg

I used to save the mimosa seeds as a kid, we would dry them them make necklaces out of them with needle and thread.

• Lynn

Don't NOT plant because they reseed! Just easily pull up the babies! They are a lovely tree!

• Paris Jones

they are pretty when they flower. they do not transplant well at all.

• Vickie Foss

We had a huge memosa in the front yard when I was growing up in Texas. Loved that tree! I can still remember the beautiful fragrance.

• Gayle P.

I remember them growing up in Ga. The mimosa, yes they are like the wisteria which I love, but they grow out of control in this area. I guess the warm seasons help. They smell sooooo good.

• Sylvia Smothers Lawing

It is a love-hate decision. Kind of like wisteria. It is beautiful,fragrant and wonderfully graceful. I love the Mimosa. We had one when I was a child,no trouble at all. It grew on our driveway embankment. I spent many happy hours climbing in it. The flowers smell so sweet and they remind me of little ballerinas. You are going to have to weigh the pros and cons. By the way I am in NC. They grow easily here.

• Melissa

I love my mimosa. It's out in the yard a little ways and my husband mows around it and the babies don't get a start.

• Lisa A

if u love the tree let it grow,,, they are can be invasive but easily controled,,,, when i was a kid at my grandmothers house in okla they were rare and she called them bird of paradise,,, but when we moved to ga they were plentiful,,, not so much here in ky

• Darlene T

< this is Mimosa... my dog...lol, her name is Mimosa. I love the tree so much, that I named her after it!

• Bluecat68

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albizia, i have one on my gardem, very beautiful

• Anne gaddis

i have 3 in my yard. it is a mimosa. they are invasive but just pull up the babies. i live in missouri .

• Ellen Eldredge S

Yes, Mimosa - here in N.C. easy to get a stinging caterpillar bag worm - careful and definitely spray if you see the insects right away. Very bad to sting children -or anyone!

• Linda Hinchey

It's a Mimosa. I have one!

• Nanapapa Eands

Mimosa, and they grow good here in southern Louisiana! Love the smell of the blooms....my grand kids call them Rain trees because when you are under them during blooming stages it feels like its misting you!

• Kathy Forte'

Mimosa Tree

• Glh

Pretty tree but you will have them coming up everywhere. We took out our Mimosa tree over 5 years ago and still have to pull up starts from the seeds that seem to travel pretty well around the yard.

• Linda Branum

I love these trees and just pull them up if they come up where I don't won't them. Love because they grow so fast and are beautiful.

• Cynthia

MIMOSA. They are invasive and will set seeds all over your yard. Beautiful though!

• Jan Ziglinski Cawelti

it is called a mamosa tree my parents had of two of them in the back yard

• Patricia W

I saw a few the other day that were at least 50 feet high! I adore them!!!

• Lana Merrill

I believe that tree is a minors.

• Lana Merrill

Help answer this question...Sorry spelled it wrong. It's a minors tree.

• Evelyn McMullen

Mimosa, extremely invasive. Anywhere there's a root you'll get another one. I've even had one come up in the front bed on opposite side of the house from the side patio where I had one cut down. They also will grow very rapidly so stay on top if you don't want them everywhere.

• Peggy Davis

Mimosa...grows well in Mississippi..many consider it invasive, but a guy down the road likes them and keeps them trimmed. they look great on his property.

• Darlene T

I believe they also go by the name "Silk Tree" OR the Silk Tree could just be in the same family as the Mimosa.

• Sylvia Smothers Lawing

I have been noticing for you. I have seen hundreds in NC that are fully grown and beautiful. They were alone, there were no others close by. Since they had been growing for years,I would say they are fairly easy to control. If not there would have been half a dozen nearby.Just don't let them grow near buildings-have them in the open. They get large and tall like a maple tree. I vote for them. They are a delightful part of my southern childhood.Sweet as honeysuckle,lovely delicate blossoms.

• Debbie

Mimosa trees are a favorite memory of my childhood in the south. They also attract butterflies and hummingbirds!

• Cathy Tanksley Garrard

SURE WISH I COULD FIND ONE I TOO REMEMBER THEM FROM MY CHILDHOOD. THERE WERE THREE IN THE BACK YARD AT OUR HOUSE,, THEY SMELL SO GOOD!!!!

• Linda Goff

I found a baby one growing in my front yard; so I dug it up and put it in a pot to see if I could grow it; so far so good! I want to plant it in my back yard for a shad tree. I Love a Mimosa Tree they are beautiful!

• Connie

it is a mimosa tree I have them in my yard and love them the hummingbirds love them

• Ellie Wing

My best friend had a beautiful mimosa tree growing in her backyard. Oh, how I loved the smell of its blossoms! Every year she would give me a couple of seedlings to take home & get them to grown in my backyard. They never took, & now she's passed away. Each time I see a mimosa tree I think of her. :)

• Sharon

Ms Cathy Tanksley Garrard,I am coming to your town Sat. for my G~baby's 1st B-day... If I can still find one out behind our house(my hubby has been clearing out),I'll bring it w/ me and let you know ahead through this site... We loved climbing them as kids and the blooms were our little Barbie's umbrellas and we pretended to cook the seed pods .Ah,memories!

• Sharolyn T

They grow well here in East Texas, but I hadn't noticed that they are invasive. Maybe it depends on moisture and soil? Anyway, I had one in my back yard and I loved it. Look at the leaves as it starts to get dusk...they begin to close. I told my grandkids it was my 'prayer' tree. :)

• Bea Rud

Mimosa tree.

• Cathy Kurpil

I love Mimosa's...oh,oh, wait, you're talking about a tree! Hahaha love them too! Couldn't resist :)

• Cyndi Neumann

I agree with Mimosa, and it is a tree I believe! It is not blooming around here yet!

• EL Hoard

It is a Mimosa. My wife and I love these trees which dot the South, however; be careful if you park a car under one. The beautiful pink flowers will imprint onto the dad's paint if left on long enough to dry. Not sure if you can remove the imprint. Lowes carried a Chocolate version of the Mimosa at one time. I paid $100 for one about 4 1/2 ft tall. Planted it and deer broke it in have the next morning. Was NOT a happy camper.

• Vicki K

Pretty blooms about two weeks, then a year of mess and bean pods. Not worth it. Kin to a mesquite. Ugh. Redbud tree about the same. Nobody actually plants them.

• Alice G

I've had mimosa trees when I lived up north and now I live in Florida what I have now is the shrub version of the mimosa tree it's the same exact flower. We call it a powder puff. This pic looks exactly like my two shrubs I have in my yard. I don't think this pic is a tree it's the shrub version

• Linda Headley

That is a mimosa tree. They are abundant in Arkansas.

• Vicki lynn

Mimosa I believe

• While this tree is commonly referred to as a mimosa in the United States, it is correctly identified as the Persian Silk tree Albizia julibrissin. The broad species Mimosa has a different flower and is part of a confusing array of herbs, shrubs and trees. The tree that we Americans call a Mimosa (and what is pictured in your photo) was likely mis-identified many years ago as being in the Mimosa family. Since trees are identified by their fruit and flowers, it is best to refer to it as being a Persian Silk tree - even though we all grew up calling it a Mimosa!

• Beth

Te mimosa is messy and very invasive. I will be chopping mine down!

• Sheila

Yes, Mimosas are pretty, but they are very messy and very invasive. Hard to keep from spreading and hard to get rid of!

• Katie Price

Mimosa (Albizia julibrisson) is fast growing (which means it has soft wood and breaks easily), and seeds itself prolifically (becomes invasive) Your neighbors might not appreciate your planting one in your landscape. You also might tire of having to pull up lots of seedlings every year.

• Scott

I think it is a female Japanese fern. I have a few in my front yard.

• Tracey T

Mimosa, for sure! We have them everywhere here!

• EL Hoard

Mimosa trees are beautiful, but can be invasive. Be careful not to plant anywhere near your autos as blooms that land on them will imprint themselves on the paint if allowed to stay on the vehicle. I personally love these trees as the dainty flowers and fern like leaves are beautiful.