The Most Obvious Weed Killer and Preventer Ever!

$1
1 Minute

I spent some time going through a bunch of gardening forums lately and when I came across this idea, I couldn't believe how simple and obvious it was! All you need is plain table salt and your pathways and driveways can be weed free! Duh! Why didn't I think of this years ago? Click through to the blog post for more info and instructions on where it's safe to use this tip, and where it isn't such a good idea.
Weed disaster!
Weed disaster!
A few sprinkles of plain table salt, wait a few days and weeds are dead!
Completely dead!
Completely dead!
CreekLineHouse .

• Jan3492261

Does the salt harm your grass or flowers?

• Lorraine Aha

Yes, it can. This is not recommended adjacent to garden or lawn.

• Suzannah McCuen

It could if you don't carefully administer the salt load to the target area. Run-off after a rain could carry the salt to areas where it isn't wanted.

• Lorraine Aha

This is not an environmentally sound idea. You can easily kill annual weeds with a kettle of boiling water. It won't pit your stone or brick, either.

• Vicky Dunsmore Paschke

Yes. It will kill them.

• Roe Stevens

Then u have to pull the dead weeds out, that's the part I can't do, makes me dizzy, any suggestions?

• Teri raker

Use a broom or hoe? I use my hose to blast moss and stuff from my sidewalk and driveways. Now ill add salt for the harder areas

• Suzannah McCuen

You do have to then lift them out but they are so thoroughly dried after a few days of salt and sun that it's much easier than tugging on live weeds.

• Take the weed eater or weed wacker and turn it an angle.

• CreekLineHouse .

Hi Roe! You can also try taking a rake to them.... once they are good and dried out, they should just kind of disintegrate, and then sweep them away. This might help a little bit with the dizziness and sore backs, too! :)

• Renate Ellerbrake

I used a small camping size gas torch before for those hard to reach areas. Just keep your garden hose nearby. We also use them to start a fire in the fireplace.

• Rose

pressure washers are really affordable now, and they will do a very fast and quick job of getting rid of the dead weed. In fact, I do it to the live weeds between the crack and they power wash the weed , root and all. Many times, if you use salt, some of the root is still alive and it will come back. And if you use salt, why not buy the chepest salt out there, like salt for the water softener. You can buy a huge bag for 3.50 at the gas station.

• Dcl8342785

I just sprayed some water, vinegar, salt and a little Dawn dish soap. Have not gone out as of yet to see the results......
  • Rocki

Can you make a high sodium salt-water mixture to pour in around small cracks and such? Would it be as effective?

• CreekLineHouse .

Hi Rocki! That would probably work! I always like to do my salting right before or after it rains so that the water helps the salt to stick better and not blow away, and also helps it to travel where it needs to go! Great idea!

• Suzannah McCuen

Yes - I used hot tap water heavily laden with ordinary salt. Works quickly and you don't have to sweep up scattered grains of salt.

• Hummingbird

Do you think kosher salt would work better since it has a larger grain?

• Cfr18435211

what will kill creeping charlie in my grass

• Nutzatwerk

Have you tried the vinegar or the salt? Creeping Charlie is a broadleaf weed and is very hard to kill. You will, most likely, have to turn to one of the commercial weed killers for this.
    • Barbara Mehrhof

I was reading on the Internet the other day, a suggestion from a gentleman who said that he used a concentrated mixture of weed and feed. The good stuff greened up and the weeds, specifically creeping charlie, were gone. I'm going to try it on bishops weed and spurge. If it doesn't work, then I'll try the salt and a higher acidity vinegar. These weeds, in my yard, are all gifts from crows who have taken up residence in our woods. Lordy!
    • Kim

Weed and Feed won't kill Creeping Charlie. It actually FERTILIZED mine, making it worse! We had to find a product with dicamba. Even then it has taken several applications!
  • Mae Tirevold

What is the best way to get rid of mos?

• CreekLineHouse .

Hi Mae! I've never tried it myself, but I've heard that dishsoap and water works for moss!
    • Nutzatwerk

Moss is a sign your lawn needs lime! Spread lime and your moss will be gone.
    • Sew crazy

Vinegar will get rid of moss that grows on your patio of paver stones. I buy the big gallon white vinegar at the big box stores comes 2 to a box . Pour it on a sunny day and in a day or two it dead. I just sweep it away, nice easy solution for your patio or pavers!
  • Cara

I did this, it works! My chia pet patio is Brown! How did you remove dead plants? I don't own a weed whacker?
  • Diana Compton

How do you get rid of bamboo that is creeping into our lilacs from the neighbor's yard?
    • Barb in Texas

The only way to stop bamboo is to put down a root barrier, anything that sits down vertically into the ground that the roots can't get around. Check you local nursery for advice on what to use and how deep it should be. Or, get your neighbor to do it, since they're causing the problem.

• JudyH

Bamboo spreads on underground rihzomes and they are notoriously fast spreaders and very difficult to control. The barrier you put down must be installed deeper than the runners, obvious. You can't use just anything to stop it. Check out this: http://www.rhizomebarrier.com/40-mil-bamboo-barrier/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyYHaBRDvARIsAHkAXcusZM4Ny1nIbYuPZnQGilRiCOj29kcQ4OHzelviIuwNYqJ1xsy-gI8aAspAEALw_wcB

• Freddy G.

You can also dug a trench and full with water. The tendrils from the bamboo will not cross. Then you can turn your trench into a water feature of some sort.

• Freddy G.

• Gypsy

DIG A TRECXH AND TAKE OUT THE RIZOMES THEN USE A PLASTIC BARRIER AND REPEAT WHEN NECESSARY . BAMBOO IS AN AGRESSIVE PLANE OR SHOULD I SAY GRASS /

• Terry

Is the salt not hard on the stones? Damage? Break down?

• JudyH

Be careful using salt as a weedkiller. Any salt water runoff will kill everything in it's path, including grass and flowers.

• John B

i believe the vinegar (on the weeds) is the best, but [using salt] on the walk ways and {around) fruit trees will (probably) affect the roots that are close by. i.e., Avocado trees near the applications of salt will (greatly) affect the leaves and ability to survive drought months. Just a heads up for those that have avocado trees that too much salt from the local water supply.