Suzanne
Suzanne
  • Round Rock, TX
Asked on Jun 10, 2013

Hi - I'd like to paint my dining room table and china cabinet using ASCP.

Dawn Wright OrdusDebbie Klein Muehr DePaulJamie Kennemer
+28

I'm undecided what color(s) to paint. The walls are SW Restoration Gold and the furniture in the living room (you can see the couch pillow in the lower left corner) are black and gold. My first thought was to paint it black, and then when I saw all the pretty colors available, I think I might want to do something else. I will also recover the chair cushions - waiting to pick out the perfect fabric to match the table. Any ideas?
Sent from my iPad
hi i d like to paint my dining room table and china cabinet using ascp, painted furniture
  • Suzanne

Wow - no one has any opinions? :) So many talented and creative people on this website - I was hoping to hear from someone.

• Miriam I

Hi Suzanne, I think what happened was that you shared it as a post, instead of a question. I convtd it to a question so it will now show up in the right feed. :) As far as opinions, I am a big fan of black, but i think it might be a bit dark for that room? For the china caninet, what about a green, like this hutch? http://www.hometalk.com/84957/we-designed-and-built-this-custom-oak-breakfront-hutch-as-part-of-a-larger-kitchen

• Suzanne

Miriam, thank you for putting this in the right feed - I appreciate it! I do love the green - it's beautiful! Definitely something to consider.

• Suzanne

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Melissa Youngman

Do you have any colors elsewhere in your home? Other than the DR/LR black and gold? Perhaps you could pull something in that way. I would think something fairly strong, saturated. It could be light, but not a pastel.

• Suzanne

The kitchen is right next to this room and it has country white cabinets and soft yellow café curtains on the windows. The breakfast table is also off white/distressed.

• Jamie Kennemer

Suzanne, the ASCP Old White is one of my fav's...you could distress it a bit and add a glaze mixed with wax and stain. Would be beautiful....I'd personally start with just painting the bottom of the table and leave the top....you could always go back and paint it later. See if you like it first. All of the colors of beautiful...and ASCP is super easy to use. Good luck!

• Nancee Barnett

I love the green in the picture. I was going to suggest a cream/distressed until I read down and saw your table is painted white. My other suggestion would be to paint the walls of the dining room. I had that gold and nothing goes well, especially the orange tones in the wood.

• Annie Sloan makes a great colour called Chateau Grey which is actually green. It would work really well to tie in the green in your living room. Or you could use Country Grey - a greenish beige colour. I wouldn't go black - too stark. Of course, Old White is the standard but I'm thinking it might be too light against your green unless you are wanting a real country look.

• Beverly Zukowski

I would paint the walls a pastel color instead of painting the wood and get a bright rug underneath the table.

• Jo Goughnour Roof

I am a black fan, but to keep it a little lighter leave some of the wood natural. Table top, flat surface and top trim of hutch.

• Sfg178760

I like the idea of pulling the soft yellow into the dinning room...and then add some decor pieces in light yellow into the living room...soft yellow will go well with tan/gold/black! So...I say make the dining room soft yellow...but not sure I would do both pieces in the same color. Maybe the table black and the china cabinet yellow???

• Reinvented Collection

I can offer suggestions but I need to ask a few questions first because I am unsure of what you truly love in decor. Do you like country? Do you like modern? If you like both then you may like modern country. Do you like romantic decor? Ruffles, lace, sheer gauzy fabrics. What colors are you drawn to in your wardrobe? This matters because we often will wear the colors we love the most. For instance, I wear quite a bit of white, gray, black... My accent colors aqua blues, corral, pinks and purples with red on occasion. I gather from your picture that you like earthtones and might even enjoy Tuscan shades. Since you are mentioning black that inclines me to think you may like a bit modern and clean lines. I will check back later to see what your input is.

• Suzanne

Olivia - thanks for the response! I'm leaving right now for an appt., but I will definitely answer your questions later.

• Shabby Paints

If you decide on black, we carry a true black chalk paint called Licorice. It would look great, and if all black scares you, just doing the inside/back panels and shelves black and the rest white would really make it pop. Then maybe the tabletop and chairs. Black and white is a great look. Here is an old office cart done in Licorice and Alamo White. Terrible pics but the contrast is great. Then you could add a pop of any color in your accessories too. http://www.hometalk.com/1587340/licorice-is-the-new-black ~Shannon

• Corky Harper

Dear Suzanne: You seam like someone that needs a little constructive criticism more than someone to share color swatches with. So here goes. Anyone that would cover that beautiful wood grain that's become the table that you are so adamantly seeking conformation from someone else to deface by covering it up with paint, need's some immediate education. If you need to find something to keep your hands happy by painting it, find something made out of plastic or metal that would be appropriate. do you understand how many years have brought this beautiful furniture to this point . By painting it you would be changing the part of it that is the most incredible about it. All that time that GOD spent creating it's personality in wood grain could no longer speak to you if you painted it. It would be like adding sugar to a fine wine to meet up with an expectation of how someone thinks it should tastes by not understanding how it tastes and what truly makes it a fine wine already. Hope You come up with another plan and I didn't offend you Suzanne. I love wood as you can probably see. If you really feel the need to paint something, Find a barn,,,,,

• Cathy W

I saw some White Oak Stain being used. It let the grain show and lightened up the area. I really agree with Corky. Un-doing a paint job can be very tedious and expensive. My mother "antiqued" a real ANTIQUE Secretary a green (in fashion at that time). Now facing the cost of steaming/bleaching it to restore it to it's natural beauty, is daunting! And it has to be done before selling or setting it out (instead of hiding it in the back room) to be shown in it's glory! If you feel the need to see what color. try different colored table cloths on it before you take the big step. Or take a picture of it and have your trusty paint supplier computerize the different colors. Good luck!

• Suzanne

Thank you for the responses. I've met with an ASCP colorist and I've decided to paint the chairs, legs and apron of the table French Linen and Graphite on the top of the table. The interior of the hutch will be Graphite and the exterior French Linen. I'm excited about this new change!

• Debbie Klein Muehr DePaul

Oh Suzanne, that sounds beautiful! I have a dining room set I am trying to decide to do the same with. Mine is not as nice as yours. It has a light wooden top and a white apron and legs. The chairs are wooden seats and the rest white. I bought ASCP in both graphite and paris gray and trying to decide what to do with it! Would love to see some after pictures!

• Suzanne

Thanks Debbie! I've wanted to do something with my table/china cabinet for a few years now. I can't wait to get started. I will post pics. Your colors sound perfect!

• Kristin White

With the design of the table it could be redone in a variety of ways. It really depends on what theme or style of design you like. My suggestion find something that inspires you and work around that theme...

• Melinda Lockwood

Undoing a paint job will be very very expensive. We restore antiques for a living and charge 2x as much to remove paint as to remove stain and finish. Tread very carefully.mIf you paint, you may want to use a coat of shellac first. That way un-doing it will be a snap!

• Cathy W

Thanks Melina! I agree. And good luck with you project Suzanne! Sounds like a great solution. Glad you contacted a pro for advice! We all had good ideas, but finding a pro was a wise decision!!!

• Suzanne

I want to post a picture of my finished project, but I'm unsure how to do that. Any help, please?

• Shabby Paints

Suzanne when you type in the comment box below their is a link under the box that says "add photos or videos" click that and you can add a photo to comment right here. Can't wait to see it...Sha

• Suzanne

Thank you, Shabby Paints! My dining room table and china cabinet are finished. That was a lot of work! I am pleased with the outcome.

• Cathy W

@Suzanne Marvelous!!! A good choice and beautifully done! (when you said you were going to paint I had visions of bight yellow or red and cringed at spoiling the fantastic wood). Yes, there are people out there that do that! Your choice of color so updated the "Country" look! Be proud and enjoy! Congrats!

• Sfg178760

Great job...look so cozy!

• Jamie Kennemer

That is gorgeous! You did great!! Whoohoo!

• Debbie Klein Muehr DePaul

Suzanne, This is absolutely beautiful! Now I am ready to paint mine! Thanks for the inspiration. I always worry about painting natural wood but when I see the results, I like every single makeover!

• Dawn Wright Ordus

Beautiful! I think I'm ready to tackle my dining room set now too!