Tova Pearl
Tova Pearl
  • Israel

How to get white-out off of varnished wood?

Jonathan GrossmannLisa DenningChe33774267
+11

I have just spilled white-out on top of a varnished wood desk, and quite a lot of it. Does anyone have any advice on how to get it off? Thanks hometalkers!

Try using WD40 with a soft clean cloth. Leave on for a few minutes to soften the white out.You can also try equal parts of olive oil and white vinegar again applying and leaving on long enough to lift the stain.

• Patricia Prinkey

My input: Let whiteout dry. Get a small can of kiltz or equivalent. Sand surface to adhere. Apply equivalent and then apply stain. This would be a last ditch effort. I can only imagine how you must feel but it is fixable. You could also contact whiteout and find out if there are any solutions. It might not be the same whiteout of long ago. It might be environment friendly.

Add to Janet's post! WD40 is amazing! Goo Gone and rubbing alcohol also work.

• ANITA

Try alcohol based hand sanitizer. Its the only thing that easily gets that and marker off my desk at the office. Scary we use it on our hands, but it does work.

Please do not use alcohol as it will take the finish off.

• Nancy

Contact the manufacturer

• Patricia Bell

I would start with plain old Windex. You would be amazed at what this will remove.

Windex may cause discoloration in the finish.

• Linda Johnson

Try hydrogen peroxide and baking soda... Rub gently, though, so you don't scratch the finish.

• Ann

use the edge of a credit card to scrap it off. once clean apply furniture polish

• Jillian

Hand sanitizer works great! If you need something at home and don’t want to run to the store, hand sanitizer is the way to go!

• Che33774267

I found the perfect product to remove White-out off of a wooden floor,
    Guardsman Citrus Dry Cleaning Fluid. I dropped a bottle of White on my wooden floor and it splattered everywhere. I tried several solutions that didn't work!! I had the Guardsman cleaner in the cabinet and thought I would give it a try. So glad I did!! It worked instantly!!

• Lisa Denning

I used WD40 on my wooden floor and it worked brilliantly! I just sprayed it on and wiped it right off.

• Jonathan Grossmann

I also used WD40 on my hardwood floor and after soaking a few minutes it wiped off cleanly with no damage to surface.