Dee W
Dee W
  • Senecaville, OH
Asked on Apr 30, 2012

lightweight fencing

Terri JDee WDouglas Hunt
+8

I live near a corner and 4 yards but up against one another. I have a flower bed stretching across the back with several trees, however there are 2 gaps I would like to "screen" from the neighbors without totally blocking out light some of my plants need.
Any suggestions?
  • 3po3

So when you say you want to "screen," do you mean you want to block their view, access or both? And how tall do you want it to be?

How much space is there, Dee, between your flower bed and where you want the hedge? How much light will it receive? Do you want something evergreen or is deciduous OK?

• Dee W

by "screen" I mean break-up the palette of my garden as well as give the illusion of privacy. I was thinking 4-8 ft. in height and length would be 12 ft. and 8ft. for both openings. I had wanted to do lattice but hubby worries T-bars won't be sturdy enough if windy and with the tree roots we won't be able to get footers in there. The area gets morning light for my p/s to shade plants.

• 3po3

I gotta say I'm stumped. Can't figure out what could offer privacy but let in light.

It won't provide a year-round screen, but goat's beard (Aruncus dioicus) gets to be easily 6 feet high and would provide a wonderful backdrop to your other plants.

• Dee W

Doug-the area only gets a few hours of morning light, still feasible? Steve-I really picture stained lattice there, you don't think the light would make it thru?

• 3po3

I would think lattice would work, but I thought hubby nixed that idea.

• Terri J

I wonder if some sort of vertical fence would help, and you can place the boards far enough asway from each other to let in light. Also, I don't think it says that all fence board have to be the typice 4" in widith.

Dee, yes, morning sun would be fine for the goat's beard. If you have room for more width, you could plant something like maple-leaf viburnum.

• Dee W

Steve-he was worried about stability but I would be willing to give it a chance. Terri-I like your idea also will need to check on that further. Doug-I am going to get some goat's beard and see how I like it...thinking a combo of ideas may be good choice.

• Terri J

Dee, variety is the spice of life!