DIY Show Off
DIY Show Off
  • Pittsburgh, PA

DIY Chandelier Planter

Last month at a family get together, we dug our hands into the potting soil and planted some flowers. Repurposed chandelier tutorial at DIYShowOff. :)
DIY chandelier planter
DIY chandelier planter
chandelier planter
chandelier planter
chandelier planter
chandelier planter
Tips for making a chandelier planter.
Tips for making a chandelier planter.
DIY Show Off

• Glendac622

Where can I buy chandeliers planters? Just the chandelier only?

• Bessie Norland-O'Connor

Try recycle stores or sometimes thrift stores carry old chandeliers. You may have to dismantle the electrical but it is really easy with a pair of small wire cutters and a pair of pliers. I have found a couple at yard sales, too.

• DaNaD

Check a local Habitat for Humanity store https://www.habitat.org/, or any thrift-store. It's very easy to find them.

• Maggie

I noticed your chandelier has what looks like bolts atop the discs. After removing the long screws that held the candle, upside down cup and disc in place , I now have no way of holding the disc on the chandelier. Will the epoxy harden and hold it solidly or do I have to find a screw or bolt that will fit the arm.
    Can I simply glue the disc.
    Loved the finished project, hope mine works as well.
    Thanks,
    MD
    • DIY Show Off

Hi MD. Follow the link to my original blog post above...mine only had candles on the disc....so the bolt things were already there (I just used wire cutters to remove the parts under the candle covers). I don't know that even epoxy will hold the pots on there...not with being outdoor (weather/elements) and water (even if it's waterproof). I really think it's going to need some type of screw or bolt to really make sure it's secure since that's where the pots will rest. Mine finally after 4 years bit the dust...the epoxied pots came off (survived that long outdoors in PA!) . I love it so much I'll be re-doing it! Good luck. Hope that helps!
    • Maggie

Thank you. I am going to have to figure out something to hold the discs in place. Maybe small dowels driven into the screw part on the arms then the discs glued on over the dowels. The chandelier was only $2.00 so not out much for that. Love it so much I am determined to make one or two.

• S.Harley

Now I know what to do when I replace my old chandelier in the dining room--thanks for the inspiration!

• DIY Show Off

@S.Harley - yay! Good luck! Mine currently is sporting some solar lights. I love that option too! ;)

• Virginia

Love gonna try it I have an old light fixture like that